Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my top center display, next to the clock, I have an orange light illuminated saying that my passenger airbag is OFF. Is there a reason that it shouldn't be ON? I looked in the owners manual and didn't see a mention of that particular light. Is there somewhere where I can turn ON the passenger airbag? or do I need to bring it in to the dealer?

Thanks in advance!

Krista

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a weight sensor (or some other kind of sensor to tell if someone is sitting) in the passenger seat and only turns on when someone is there (or if you have a heavy bag of groceries sitting there, they need protection also). This is how it knows to get angry when your passenger (or groceries) aren't buckled in.

I feel this is to stop the passenger airbag from deploying during an accident if it doesn't need to. Possibly keeping repair costs down (airbags are expensive!). This is what happened when I put my Forester into a tree. Driver's airbag deployed and saved me from severe injury (walked away with a couple of bruises) and passenger airbag did nothing (I was alone in the car).

In summary, light for the passenger airbag always says off unless the seat is occupied.

Reactions: Cogen Man

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think the weight sensor is also there because very small children are sometimes more likely to be injured by a deploying airbag than by the accident itself, so the airbag stays off until someone heavy enough to benefit from the bag is detected.

It's a good system, but having that ugly light always visible on my dash irritates the heck out of me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright - that totally makes sense...I'll have to double check it next time I have a passenger there to see if it changes.

Thanks!

Krista

·
Registered
95 Posts
I noticed that the light is always on either saying it's on or off depending if someone is seated there or not. I did find it in the manual that it's suppose to be that way but don't understand why they had to keep that light on all the time. They should had made a time out or something to turn the light out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. My eye is always drawn to that light...it'd be nice if it went off...

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a weight sensor (or some other kind of sensor to tell if someone is sitting) in the passenger seat and only turns on when someone is there (or if you have a heavy bag of groceries sitting there, they need protection also). This is how it knows to get angry when your passenger (or groceries) aren't buckled in.

I feel this is to stop the passenger airbag from deploying during an accident if it doesn't need to. Possibly keeping repair costs down (airbags are expensive!). This is what happened when I put my Forester into a tree. Driver's airbag deployed and saved me from severe injury (walked away with a couple of bruises) and passenger airbag did nothing (I was alone in the car).

In summary, light for the passenger airbag always says off unless the seat is occupied.

Its suprising this vital info is not in the manual. Same with the LIM button. Maybe they should look at sending updates to add to the current manual
linda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts