Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I discovered something interesting. Driving the other day I put my hand on the passenger seat, lightly, no pressure or anything and the sensor and warming chime went off, at first I thought the sensor was super sensitive but today as I was driving I had my backpack filled with textbooks on the seat and realized the sensor and chime were silent. So I started experimenting. I took my backpack off and put my hand on the seat, and BEEP BEEP BEEP the chime goes off. So I then put my textbook on the seat and nothing, and then my hand again and it starts going off! I just thought it was cool that it knows what's human and what's not. ALIENS!
I just wanted to know if anyone else noticed this, or is going to try it after reading this.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Actually, I think the sensor on the seat a bit more towards the front of the seat. (I am going to have to test my backpack now... lol). Yeah, I noticed that tool but if I recall, it was when I placed my hand towards the front of the seat.. I could be totally wrong (not the first time, and certainly not the last), but if I recall, that is what I remembered.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might be true, the sensor picked up my hand quicker towards the front of the seat, but it also picked up my hand towards the back of the seat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If I put my iPad on the seat directly, towards the back near the backrest, the sensor chimes. If I put it on something like a leather folio or gloves for that matter, nothing. Strange, but when people are in the car it is fine. Long and short I have no idea what the heck is wrong with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The sensor works off of electrical signals, not weight. Putting heavy items in the seat should not trigger the sensor - anything giving off an electrical signal (such as a human body) should. At least this is my understanding of the system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's interesting. I put my phone on the seat but nothing happened, therefore I am convinced subaru has little alien life forms living underneath our seat cushions chiming bells when a human is in the seat without their seatbelts fastened. 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got a little annoyed when I put a small box on the seat and it set the sensor off, but when my 7 year old daughter sat on the seat it didn't go off. Also my dog jumped up front one day (70lbs) because he can't sit still, if he moved one way the sensor went on then move another way and it would go off, kind of weird.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had noticed some inconsistencies with the front passenger seatbelt airbag sensor too. I can put my purse and other items over there, and no chiming. However, if I put just my phone over there, it sets off the chimes. I thought it was weight related, so I couldn't figure out why it was going off for just my little phone. I did put a couple bags of groceries there once and that set off the chiming too, so I had to buckle in my groceries :) lol

So, it is a heat sensor? or electrical? not sure why my groceries would have set it off if it were either of those....

·
Registered
142 Posts
So I put my backpack with my computer and nada, then I added my hand and sure enough, it started to chimme. So, what does that mean? I have no idea.... the good thing is that it works.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm guessing the sensor is electrical. Yes, we humans run on electricity too that's why we get static shocks every now and then. See if it makes a difference if your laptop/device is on or off.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I carried a huge desktop PC to and from a friends house this weekend. On the way there, no alarm. The whole way back, alarm.

The only difference was the angle it was sitting it. On the return trip, it was leaning more, so the weight was more to the front of the seat. Might be something to the idea thats where the sensor is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I will add too that just my phone DOESN'T make the chime go off, but if my phone is plugged in to a charger that is in the center console, THEN it sets off the chimes...

·
Registered
49 Posts
k2gdub13 said:
I will add too that just my phone DOESN'T make the chime go off, but if my phone is plugged in to a charger that is in the center console, THEN it sets off the chimes...
Glad Im not the only one. I had several other things on my seat so I thought my phone just put it over the weight limit for the sensor. Didnt even give it a second thought about what kind of sensor it might be.

·
Registered
136 Posts
the seat also ways you to know how to deploy the airbag for children it will deploy up and then out for adults it will just deploy out

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had the same problem from new I got them to look at it on my first service and my second I also showed them how to get it to do it but they could not find a fault or get it to do it. they told me to take it home and let them know if it keeps doing it as there is not much more they can do. So the very next day that dam seat sensor again so I gave them a call and they where talking to Subaru tec department about the problem. I heard back from them today I was told Subaru have identified a issue and have a modified seat cushion to fix the problem so they ordered the part from japan, got the new seat base fitted and all good now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts