Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2015 Crosstrek limited. Today when climbing near Frisco Colorado (8000-9000ft) on I-70, it became very difficult to break 60mph. The car was at ~4000-4200 RPM consistently for 8 minutes or so. I was constantly being passed. Is this typical? Are there any tips or tricks to get more performance when climbing?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I think it's normal. Though, I haven't been up to that elevation, my dad's Honda Ridgeline with a 250 HP naturally-aspirated V6 engine felt like 170 HP through the mountains in Colorado. We could barely hit 60 MPH, with the accelerator pedal mashed to the floorboard (Yes, 100% throttle most of the uphill drive).

·
Registered
811 Posts
Welcome to the club Ernie! Yes I agree it's normal behavior for the Crosstrek. The Crosstrek was designed as a very capable but economical CUV. I really enjoyed the high mpg last year on a 4,000 mile road-trip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You are a victum of the laws of physics.The higher you go the less oxygen available to burn the fuel.The less oxygen available the less fuel can be added and still achieve combustion.The less fuel you can add the less power your engine can put out.If you want a car that gets good MPG and still has good power in the mountains then you will need a turbo powered car such as the WRX.A turbo will give the engine the oxygen it needs to give you the power you need to get you to the top of the mountain at the pace you desire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts