Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my Tangerine XV today from Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru in Orangeburg, NY (appropriately named in this case). It's not my first Subaru, but are there any MUST DO's at the dealership or when I get it home?

·
Registered
800 Posts
First of all, congrats, I know you've been waiting on your Tangerine for a while!

I'd say taking some pics is a must ;)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just follow the break-in procedure.... keep the RPMS moving ( not a steady 3000 rpm for long periods ) IF you have a manual or CVT.. it's easy.... drop a gear in the 5MT or use the paddle shifters for the CVT Don't exceed 4000 rpms (if you can help it ) NEVER drive it hard if the blue cold engine light is on... treat it like you would yourself when you just get out of bed.... easy and slow until you wake up... lol!

It may be hard ( it was for me since I have a heavy foot )... but it's only for 1000 miles.... then drive it like you stole it. The paddle shifters can be quite fun after that 1000 mile break-in.... gives a lot more potential with the CVT. These engine seem to like high R's

Good luck!!!! OH!! try to talk your dealership into a free first oil change ( if you didn't already )

Yeah.... PICS BEFORE you leave the dealership.... like a nursery shot before you leave the hospital... lol!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be commuting to Manhattan with it so I should have a lot of opportunities to vary the RPMs. And this break-in is to set the piston rings?

·
Registered
927 Posts
They don't really tell you why.... but for us older guys... seating rings sounds like the obvious reason....lol. I haven't researched the full reasoning behind it ( I believe some have ). Im at 2000+ already since mid February.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Awesome, can't wait to see it and I am sure you are excited. As Xtrekr said, make sure you give it the proper break-in period. All you'll want to do is test out your new toy, but remember that delayed gratification > instant gratification.

Also, pics are a must!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ClubCrosstrek said:
Awesome, can't wait to see it and I am sure you are excited. As Xtrekr said, make sure you give it the proper break-in period. All you'll want to do is test out your new toy, but remember that delayed gratification > instant gratification.

Also, pics are a must!
I haven't had to break in a car in a long while... I'll have to keep reminding myself to take it easy and vary those RPMS. I have some big hills on my commute so I'll definitely do engine breaking.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I too have the tangerine. I love the color, really stands out.
If you plan to modify your XV, take a look at e bay. Parts there are less than at the dealer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ikon said:
Congrats on the purchase. I too have the tangerine. I love the color, really stands out.
If you plan to modify your XV, take a look at e bay. Parts there are less than at the dealer.
Thanks Ikon

·
Registered
927 Posts
Be careful with non genuine Subie parts. eBay knock-offs ( for other vehicles I have seen) have very poor quality. You should have 60 days from delivery to purchase items at or slightly above dealer cost. I bought rear spoiler, hood, side window and moon roof wind deflectors about a month after purchase and only paid $488 total for everything

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good advice Ralph. I have a new digital gauge to try out.

BTW. Had to work longer than expected today so I couldn't pick up the car. I'll do it on Thursday. I'm off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ralph-- I just turned 60 and although still very much a kid at heart, my excitement level is manageable. I've bought many new cars over the years. The thing that makes mr anxious is will this be my LAST car? LOL Hope not. Like to own a red convertible before I go to the used car lot in the sky.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Roger that Bob... Mine was my first new car in 10yrs, and I forgot that "new car smell" can get the blood flowing for sure (at least in my case.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts