Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Planning a Trip

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BonnieBlueAdventure 
#1 ·
I'm a new Crosstrek 2019 owner and so excited for an upcoming road trip over the Rockies and across the Plains. I am looking for any information about how to make this more comfortable, and possible car-camping hacks. So excited to be part of the group!

#2 ·
Welcome Bonnie! It really depends on the budget you have. You might want to consider an inch lift if you are looking for more adventurous trail to camp experience. On the other hand, you can invest on a quality tent, foldable chair and other camping materials if your budget is tight.

If your Crosstrek is not newly purchased, you might want to also check maintenance parts. I recently purchased an air filter and it made a breather change. Small things = big difference.

#3 ·
Welcome Bonnie! It really depends on the budget you have. You might want to consider an inch lift if you are looking for more adventurous trail to camp experience. On the other hand, you can invest on a quality tent, foldable chair and other camping materials if your budget is tight.

If your Crosstrek is not newly purchased, you might want to also check maintenance parts. I recently purchased an air filter and it made a breather change. Small things = big difference.
I was planning on doing a full tune-up prior to taking off, and will make a note to get a new air filter as well. I have gotten one of those fancy blow up mattresses (haven't tried it yet, but hopefully this weekend or Memorial Day weekend). Have you had to do much to improve cargo space?

#4 ·
My wife are planning to try to take a camping trip soon, and I just got my Crosstrek. We need extra space as we will be bringing my 7 month old and two 80 lb dogs, so pretty much everything besides clothes and diaper bag will need to be stored external.

I am looking at getting a roof rack and adding a tow hitch with a rack on the back. I come from camping with my wife in my jeep TJ so I am used to having limited space.

I will say one of the best ways to maximize space is to pack smartly. Pack a small of cooler as possible, you can rotate drinks. Dry ice, packed correctly will save space over ice. Pack your clothes by rolling them. If it is a longer trip, find a Landry matt on the route and do laundry to save some space.

Also do a few practice packing up the car. It is very easy to do at home, but harder to do when you are at a camp site. You can take all the world at home figuring out the Tetris part of packing, so when you pack up on site you already know what you are doing. Also packing jugs of water, or the big 2.5 gallon jugs will save space over water bottles.

And don't forget a first aid kit.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.