Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got around to plasti-dipping the grille today and using the drying time to debadge the rear.
(excuse the dirt... she needs a good bath)

Before

Taped up

Newspaper spread

newspaper removed, tape inside the grille left

tape pulled.

You'll notice in this last picture that it doesn't look so great. The right side looks okay. The left side looks awful. If you could see the right side closer you'd see it wasn't amazing either, but passable at this distance. By the time I started pulling tape from the left side I knew the plasti-dip wasn't going to be staying on this application. The plasti-dip looked fantastic... went on well, coating was great...

...my problem was I couldn't get it to peel cleanly. So I'm not sure exactly where I went wrong - further proof that I should have read a little more before attempting this.

My question to you all is when is the best time to peel the tape? Immediately after the last coat while it's still very wet? The next day when it's had time to dry and stick to the grille better?

What I ran into was when I was peeling the tape, it was pulling the P-D off with it. When I got only P-D peeling, it peeled cleanly on the lines where I wanted it to break... but then when I pulled the tape, it messed it all up.

Should I not have taped as well? Meaning should I not have tucked the tape under where I could and instead just put it right on the lines and peeled the P-D from the tape then taken off the tape?

Anyway, it wasn't a total waste of time as it got me to finally debadge... and those results are better than the plasti-dip results. I used the fishing line, no hair-dryer method for the Subaru badges. Just pulled up a little, slid some fishing line behind, and "sawed" it about halfway through until I could pull up the letters.

At that point I pulled up and was able to get most of the adhesive with the letters and the rest came off the vehicle easily enough. Can't tell they were ever there unless you catch the light just right - still need to hit it with goo-gone to get rid of the last little bit of adhesive.

Left side before. The dealer sticker was actually the easiest part. It came off easy and with little to no residue. I could have done without the indentions in the R and O though...

You're all familiar with the right side before picture.

This is the almost-after picture. I also removed "Subaru" but forgot to take a picture after. I definitely pulled the PZEV sticker too. Also came off easily. I think I'm going to leave the "XV" on though. Right now I'm liking it being the only thing back there. Going to give it a week or so then pull it if I don't like it. Or if I figure out my plasti-dipping errors, I may coat the XV badge with that and leave it.

Took this one for anyone who is thinking about debadging. I didn't expect this foamy-adhesive stuff. Once I realized that's what I was dealing with, it made it a little easier to handle doing as I mentioned above.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thickness of layers and time is key. When I did my 07 Jetta grille.... five coats within 15 minutes and immediately pulled the tape. It was 75 degrees and sunny when I did it, though. If you go too thick and you need to separate the paint from the tape, an exacto knife works great.

If you let the dip dry too long, you really can't get a crisp line... it has to be somewhat 'moist', if you will.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect. Thanks folks. I'll probably tackle it again sometime next week.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Sorry you had trouble with the Plasti Dip, chasem, but that's the wonder of the stuff, you can always redo it.

I like the debadging. I did it on my WRX and G35 so I think I'll do it on the Crosstrek.

- Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I chalk it up to a learning experience... which is why I posted the fouled-up version here, so others can see it and learn.

I'm a big fan of the debadging. Now that I know the proper plasti-dipping method, I think I'll leave the XV on and dip it too.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've always thought debadged cars looked pretty sharp but have been afraid of pulling the paint off with them. Is there a best method for pulling them off of the car?

I did pull the dealer sticker off, but obviously that was a different type of adhesive.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The method I used was solid. I've heard it said that it's easier to debadge when it's new, but I couldn't say for sure.

I just used s piece of fishing line, tucked it behind a letter, "sawed" back and forth - this served to cut the thick adhesive foam on the side of the letters (rather than the paint side of the adhesive) until the letter was about halfway off. This made it easier to pull the letter away. At that point a good chunk of the adhesive would come off with the letter, then just peel it off like you did the dealer sticker.

I didn't use a hair dryer as mine came off easily enough without it, but that would serve to loosen up the adhesive too.

At no point did I feel like I'd be taking paint off with it.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
chasem said:
The method I used was solid. I've heard it said that it's easier to debadge when it's new, but I couldn't say for sure.

I just used s piece of fishing line, tucked it behind a letter, "sawed" back and forth - this served to cut the thick adhesive foam on the side of the letters (rather than the paint side of the adhesive) until the letter was about halfway off. This made it easier to pull the letter away. At that point a good chunk of the adhesive would come off with the letter, then just peel it off like you did the dealer sticker.

I didn't use a hair dryer as mine came off easily enough without it, but that would serve to loosen up the adhesive too.

I used the same method on two of my last cars, once even with dental floss, and I never felt like the paint was in jeopardy of coming off at all. I did use the hair dryer method to get the dealer sticker off my Crosstrek this time because it was a really cold and windy day when I did it. The sticker was not budging at all until I blasted it with the hair dryer and it peeled right off.

·
Registered
800 Posts
chasem said:

Interesting- I'd never heard of this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem. Do post pictures! I love the debadged tangerine XVs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Round 2!

So much better this time. Thanks again for the tips guys.

The only badge left. The X isn't perfect, but the casual observer won't notice. May touch it up or redo it sometime... we'll see.

The grille went almost perfectly this time. I think it could have used one more coat and the underside of the logo didn't get enough coverage. But that's nit-picking. The Logo didn't peel perfectly, so there are little bits of chrome showing. Just enough to bug me, not enough to stand out at all. I may leave it, touch it up, or just peel that section. I dunno.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey chasem, can you get a wider angle pic of those? I just need it to warm up so I can do a good wash and dip day. I think I want to do the grill surround in black dip and the wings in the khaki body color and just leave the XV in the back like you did. I hate plastic chrome.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gravitylover said:
Hey chasem, can you get a wider angle pic of those? I just need it to warm up so I can do a good wash and dip day. I think I want to do the grill surround in black dip and the wings in the khaki body color and just leave the XV in the back like you did. I hate plastic chrome.
Sure can. It'll be sometime tomorrow, most likely.

I think your plan sounds good. Someone else mentioned doing the grille chrome body-color and I think that would look fantastic.

And thanks, tmo!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Chasem,

When you did it the second time, did you till tape of the actually mesh part of the grill? Or did you just spray I've that also?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
devintofthedead said:
Hey Chasem,

When you did it the second time, did you till tape of the actually mesh part of the grill? Or did you just spray I've that also?
I don't know how it never made it into this thread, but here's how I taped it off for round two.

I did add a row of newspaper around the outside as well.

It's kind of hard to tell how I taped the mesh, but I left about as much room between the chrome and the tape on the inside as I did around the outside.

Basically, when you're looking at the mesh part, there's the mesh, then there's solid black plastic where the mesh connects to the border of the chrome. I just covered the mesh by sticking tape to the solid parts. The most annoying bit is the top section of mesh, just because it's a smaller section to cover.

I'd also recommend putting a piece of tape on the Subaru logo to make it easier to peel later. Don't cover the entire oval of the logo like I did in the first session, only a small piece in the center so you can pull that and peel "around the oval" rather than peeling the entire oval at once.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts