Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So after looking at some of the post here decided to try it out. My 1st time using Plasti dip, and it was just like paint.

I took the grill apart figured it would be easier then masking the car.

Taking off the grill is quite easy, only suggestion is take your time once all the screws are off there are a few snaps at the bottom that connect the grill to bumper use a flat head screw driver and be patient.

Let the plati dip dry for a few hours and then put it all back together, I like the black look at lot better then chrome.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the great pics. Did you remove the weather strip and then re-attach after painting? Any issues with that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look at the 3rd picture I took apart the chrome pieces and only painted those, weather strip is actually stuck to the already black part of the gril so no need to remove it since you don't need to paint that. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That look great. Also I'm glad to see the horn right there, that will make the install of my supertones EASY! :D

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Looks really good. I've mentioned it a bunch on here, but I've had a can of dip sitting on my home desk for over a month now, I just haven't used it yet. I think admitting it out loud makes me feel less lazy.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's alright, you're not the only one with unused parts sitting around. I have an entire JDM Forester Cross Sports front clip in my garage! And that's just the beginning.

·
Registered
243 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Looks really good. I've mentioned it a bunch on here, but I've had a can of dip sitting on my home desk for over a month now, I just haven't used it yet. I think admitting it out loud makes me feel less lazy.
You'll shoot your eye out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Phoenix622 said:
Ikon said:
Did mine too
Ikon,

How did you get that textured look to it? Or are my eyes deceiving me?
The textured look is a carbon fiber wrap, made by 3m. It's all over eBay

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
josemendez said:
So... I did the Grill, the Side Body Moulding and the Front and Rear Panels... It is hard to stop when you get going. Really easy stuff to use.
Whoa! I really like that! How long did it take and how many cans of dip did you use? Looks like a really clean job.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So I coated it several times (6 times) and I used 3 cans of Plasti Dip. It was my first attempt at it so it took me nearly 3 hours but honestly, I would say 1.5 hours of that was prep time (Washing, Taping, Detailing). I got more overspray than I wanted but it was so easy to get off. The hardest part was the moulding and taping it correctly. I am glad I did it. It really is an easy job, I was intimidated by it at the begining, but since it can be removed, it took the fear out of the whole thing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
josemendez said:
So I coated it several times (6 times) and I used 9 cans of Plasti Dip. It was my first attempt at it so it took me nearly 3 hours but honestly, I would say 1.5 hours of that was prep time (Washing, Taping, Detailing). I got more overspray than I wanted but it was so easy to get off. The hardest part was the moulding and taping it correctly. I am glad I did it. It really is an easy job, I was intimidated by it at the begining, but since it can be removed, it took the fear out of the whole thing.
9 cans?!?!??? Wow that's a pricey mod.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How many coats do you recommend doing?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
421 Posts
subiecoastie said:
How many coats do you recommend doing?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD