Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wow! Looks pretty good on your car!

I'm threatening to do something with plastidip. Just not sure what yet. Don't think I am brave enough to do my wheels though! Lol. I have the pearl white too, but seem to be going more the chrome look. So I think I'll keep my wheels stock for now since that's what people seem to notice right off the bat as being so different. Well... At least I did.... Heheheh.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've seen where someone plasti-dipped the wheels either on this or another forum... I'll look around in a sec and see if I can find it; it did look good.

·
Registered
500 Posts
found it. It was on another forum. Since the images are hosted by photobucket, I'll post them rather than the link to the other forum - don't want CC to frown on me :p

Personally I think it looks fantastic. Can't decide whether I'd like that or as-is more. If you do it, post pictures - would love to see them on another color xv.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Wow, that really looks better than I expected. Now I want to dip my wheels, too, just to see what it looks like!

From what I understand, you can always peel Plasti Dip off if you really don't like it, right?

·
Registered
500 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
From what I understand, you can always peel Plasti Dip off if you really don't like it, right?
Yup! Bulk of it should peel right off. Whatever doesn't come off real easily should come off with just a little rubbing. No elbow grease should be needed

·
Registered
800 Posts
Looks sharp! I like my wheels how they are but can definitely see the appeal of the plastidip.

Using index cards to spray them is pretty clever.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Re: Re: Plastidip factory rims? Anyone done this yet?

chasem said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
Yup! Bulk of it should peel right off. Whatever doesn't come off real easily should come off with just a little rubbing. No elbow grease should be needed
Does it hold up with a scrubbing wash alright, though?

- Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
500 Posts
That I couldn't say yet. Someone (here? another forum?) said they ran their vehicle with plasti-dipped bits through an automated car wash and the plasti-dipped bits were unaffected.

I'm starting on my grille in a few minutes. I can report back over time.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's certainly not the most durable thing ever, which is part of why it's great. You can remove it easily but a few pf may cars have had various parts dipped and occasionally I'd take a chunk out of the dip but it's REALLY easy to re paint or touch up.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Subir_roo said:
It's certainly not the most durable thing ever, which is part of why it's great. You can remove it easily but a few pf may cars have had various parts dipped and occasionally I'd take a chunk out of the dip but it's REALLY easy to re paint or touch up.
Gotcha, that's kind of what I figured. It's both a blessing and a curse!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chasem said:
found it. It was on another forum. Since the images are hosted by photobucket, I'll post them rather than the link to the other forum - don't want CC to frown on me :p

Personally I think it looks fantastic. Can't decide whether I'd like that or as-is more. If you do it, post pictures - would love to see them on another color xv.
Awesome, that's what I was looking for. I'll report back with some pictures when the weather gets warmer.

Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those are my wheels that Chasem posted (thanks for sharing them!) It's been about six months since I first dipped them and after a ton of car washes, some off-roading, and around 6000 miles, they still look good as new. Here's a few more recent picture of them with the windows tinted.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
KC,

Nice job on the rims! Now I know what to look for when I'm downtown... trolling.... lol!!!! 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can't wait to do this, problem is here I'm Canada there's only one dealer of plastidip and he doesn't answer his emails.

On my next us trip, I'll stop at lowes and pick up the cans.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts