Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

PlastiDip Interior Trim?

6K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Mhellner 
#1 ·
Has anyone plastidipped their interior trim? I have the orange XV and I wanna spray the silver trim to be orange to match the outside. I didn't know if anyone had any experience with taking the trim out and maybe some advice for a newbie haha.

#2 ·
I'm thinking about it and it doesn't look too hard. I got a set of trim removal tools and those pop the piece above the glove box and by the steering wheel off. You can remove the small knock out panels on the sides of the dash where the doors touch when closed to push at them from behind if needed.

If you have the little silver piece on the shift knob, that's glued on and pops off. You'll need to glue it back on after, which is a pain. I'd recommend just taping the knob and spraying it while still on. That small mirror looking metalic trim on the very bottom pops off and reveals a small clip that holds the knob on.

The shift plate bezel on the console also pops off, but requires sliding back the arm rest console and cup holders.

Finally, if you have the small silver trim on the steering wheel, you need to take the steering wheel off to access that. It's held on by a small phillips screw that can only be accessed from behind either by removing the steering wheel or drilling a small access hole from behind.

#7 ·
All the supplies are in and it looks sunny enough tomorrow that I can start. I figured out how to get some of the trim out, but the trickier ones like the silver around the vents and the shift bezel will have to wait till I'm a little more adventurous. I got the Go Mango from Dipyourcar. Seems like a pretty good fit to the Orange Tangerine Pearl of the car haha.

#11 ·
Mhellner, that paint job turned out great. As if it was supposed to be that color all along. I have yet to dip the chrome up on the front end... was going to today but I'll hold off untill next weekend. Looking forward to seeing more pics as the project comes along.

Zero

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.