Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my first time doing this and it didn't turn out perfect but you have to get up close to find the imperfections. I made a few mistakes.

1. I didn't wait long enough between coats. I tried to speed it up but I think it would be better to wait.
2. I didn't spray enough coats. The overspray is easy enough to remove but only if you have a thick coat and let it sit.
3. I applied painters tape too close to the areas that I was covering. When I removed it there were some minor tears that I had to spray over.

I think my mistake is I treated it like paint. Now that I see how easy it is to remove I wouldn't be so cautious. I think the best approach would be a solid 5-6 coats over a few hours. Also, The "crosstrek" badge is a PITA to coat and remove excess plastidip from. More coats and more drying time might help. Have some toothpicks handy to get inside the letters.

There's some excess plastidip that I haven't removed yet but will.

·
Registered
927 Posts
AWESOME!!!! Looks way better de-chromed!!!! Much sportier look to it...

Make sure you get that overspray off on the bottom and sides.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tmorgan66030 said:
ok dumb question can you use the plastidip on the side body moldings?
I don't see why not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That looks f****n awesome! I am so plastidipping the badging. Where'd you buy it from around here?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LarryA said:
That looks f****n awesome! I am so plastidipping the badging. Where'd you buy it from around here?
I got it at Lowe's on 610 and Beechnut but I think Home Depot carries it as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
CrossTrekFan said:
LarryA said:
I got it at Lowe's on 610 and Beechnut but I think Home Depot carries it as well.
I'll have to see if our home depot or lowe's carries that! I'm thinking we'll do our side body moldings :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
diverdan said:
How did you keep the bright stars but put a black background on the center badge. Looks really good!

I don't think he touched the badge... its OEM. Mine is VERY dark blue, almost black.

EDIT: My bust... guess he did do the badge... NICE JOB! Just the chrome edge though, right?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
diverdan said:
How did you keep the bright stars but put a black background on the center badge. Looks really good!
This is how Plastidip is different than paint. I sprayed the entire thing then rolled back the edge covering the blue area and peeled it off in one sheet. The ridge between the emblem and the plastic holding it breaks the plastidip in the perfect spot. It's very counterintuitive.

·
Registered
927 Posts
SERIOUSLY thinking about doing this to mine now.... hmmmmm

I 'DE-CHROMED' my Jeep and love it... all there is on the XV is the badging, grille and now my UNIBAR....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Painted Grill Surround and chrome cladding

I really liked the overall concept of this mod, and did some internet research on using plasti-dip to black out chrome trim. What I didn't like is that it would peel off, I wanted something more durable and permanent. And I didn't like the idea of masking and overspraying, making a mess of the front end of the car.

My solution was to remove the grill and disassemble it so I could paint the pieces. It's very easy to take apart if you're careful, a few tiny screws and unhook all the plastic tab keepers. I sanded down the chrome surround and center bar with 320 grit and shot them with matt-finish automotive acrylic enamel - Dupont Centari. I had some leftover from another project doing a motorcycle tank. This stuff is super tough, hard as nails once it cures.

I have to admit, it's soooo much nicer than the chrome. Especially since there isn't any other chrome on the car. No wonder they sell an accessory grill. Frankly, I like this better. Oh, and I left the Subaru badge as built, it floats in a black background now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I ran my plastidipped grille through one of those touchless robotic car washes. I was worried about the plastidip holding under it's high pressure spray but there were no issues. All the bug guts and mud rinsed off the dipped parts easily and it didn't peel. It's pretty amazing stuff.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Painted Grill Surround and chrome cladding

CJBROWN said:
My solution was to remove the grill and disassemble it so I could paint the pieces. It's very easy to take apart if you're careful, a few tiny screws and unhook all the plastic tab keepers. I sanded down the chrome surround and center bar with 320 grit and shot them with matt-finish automotive acrylic enamel - Dupont Centari. I had some leftover from another project doing a motorcycle tank. This stuff is super tough, hard as nails once it cures.
Looks great. Removing the grille might be the way to go since it's pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Will be interesting to compare over the road use of the plasti-dip and auto paint. I painted the cross bars on my GLK with spray-can trim paint and it showed a lot of tiny rock chips over just a few thousand miles. Hopefully both are more durable than that.

Some of the guys on one of my bike forums have used plasti-dip on their side covers. Seems they've had good success with it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
CJBROWN,

I Plasti-Dipped my Grille on our 07 Jetta.... did it two and a half years ago and never got a chip... we traded the Jetta for the XV....

·
Registered
42 Posts
How difficult was it to black out the rear badges? I would like to black out mine but have no experience with plastidip, did you remove them from the vehicle prior to painting them?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts