Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

CVT or 5MT

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious; I think 5MT will be the majority but I want to see how close the numbers are!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I went CVT because we have had sticks for a long time and it was time to get at least one auto back in the mix.... I like the CVT a lot.... VERY different from a normal auto for sure.

·
Registered
243 Posts
CVT. If the Crosstrek was more performance oriented I'd have gone with the MT. I know it's sort of fashionable to hate on the CVT but in this instance I like it well enough. I'd still love to get my hands on a 300hp 6MT Crosstrek though :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my CVT for all the same reasons, except my wife drives a stick daily [08 Focus, AT in that is garbage], but the CVT with the sportmode/paddle shifters is more than adequate. And I think it will be awesome for towing and going up hills fully loaded.

Cool piece of technology. LIGHTYEARS better than a CVT Dodge Caliber I had as a rental once. That car is what spawned my hatred for CVT and I said I'd never own one. I was shocked when I sat down and thought which to buy after driving both and decided I WANTED to spend the extra $$ on the CVT!

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
CrossTrekFan said:
CVT. If the Crosstrek was more performance oriented I'd have gone with the MT. I know it's sort of fashionable to hate on the CVT but in this instance I like it well enough. I'd still love to get my hands on a 300hp 6MT Crosstrek though :)
305*
:D

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
I will be going 5mt. I miss driving stick like no other. I got manual in my current car so the fiancé could drive. She's driving 3 times in two years. And two of those I had to for e upon her. So, if she wants to drive my car, sheiks more than welcome. But I will have to teach her stick. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm thinking you'll find CVT about 10 to 1 5spd. At least that's what I found looking at the entire southern California dealer inventory when I was trying to find what I wanted.

The only reason I chose the manual was so it could be towed 4-down behind the motorhome. But now having it, and having test driven the CVT, I'm very glad I ended up with the stick. Just wish it was a 6 speed. And there was a turbo. ::)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I went with the CVT because the 5-speed can't hang at the high speeds especially at altitude.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
CJBROWN said:
I'm thinking you'll find CVT about 10 to 1 5spd. At least that's what I found looking at the entire southern California dealer inventory when I was trying to find what I wanted.

The only reason I chose the manual was so it could be towed 4-down behind the motorhome. But now having it, and having test driven the CVT, I'm very glad I ended up with the stick. Just wish it was a 6 speed. And there was a turbo. ::)
That's pretty accurate. Most I've seen have had about 13 in stock, 1-2 sticks. One has 21, and an amazing 3 sticks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I swore off manuals due to the insane amount of traffic I frequent in so cal.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've never owned an auto and didn't want to start with this vehicle. I just enjoy the stick too much. Was borrowing an auto while waiting on the XV and it drove me nuts. Can't tell you how many times I pressed the "clutch" only to find my head nearly slamming the steering wheel.

My local dealer had no 5MTs in any of the shipments of XVs I saw come through on their website while I waited on mine (12 autos, 0 5MTs). If I were to say 10% of their Subaru stock was 5MT, that'd be generous. Makes me sad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CrossTrekFan said:
Same.

I was set on the 5mt until I drove a CVT, it's really nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I test drove the cvt to check it out and never even tried the manual on the lot. 4000 miles later I'm happy as can be. If it was a STI version it would have been a different story. I can not believe how well it uses what little power there is. Then again 20 years ago I was "that guy" barreling down the fast lane, now I'm the dude in the slow lane and enjoying the journey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I chose CVT mainly out of practicality. I love driving manual and have had two 5-speeds before, but I don't think I could mentally handle it with the crazy stop-and-go traffic I deal with all the time now that I've moved out to this big cluster of a city.

If I was still back in NC I would have gone 5MT. That said, I really love the CVT once I learned to drive it. It doesn't act/react like a normal auto so it took me a couple of weeks to really get to know how to handle it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd have to agree. There's a certain level of timing required to make it work how you want it to. Once you figure it out though it's great! The last few cars I drove were manuals (6-speed jeep and 6-speed diesel). Sometimes I miss it but it's so easy cruising around with the CVT.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I could've gone either way but I went for the CVT because of the mileage and for cuture consideration, it's easier to sell an automatic in the US. Plus I have another stick car anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also went with the CVT. to date all of our cars except one had manual transmissions. Last weekend we drove about 1200 miles with a moxture of mountains and flats. The Crosstrek worked flawlessly. Sure it took us a while to get used to the CVT, but it woks great and the mpg return I good.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have the 5 speed and enjoy driving it. Charleston isn't a big city, near zero traffic. Easy breezy to go through the gears 8)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts