Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some weeks ago, I purchased the bike that would PERFECTLY COMPLIMENT my purchase of a Subaru XV Crosstrek (when that does happen!)

The TREK Dual-Sport bike.

What makes the two a great vehicle duo?

TREK Bicycle Corporation sort of has a connection with Subaru. Heck, they've had it for a while (Remember back in the day, when they were advertising the then-new WRX with Lance Armstrong?) Subaru is even the title-sponsor for one of Trek's major mountain bike teams, the Subaru-TREK Mountain Bike Team:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/team/subarutrek/

The TREK Dual-Sport lineup consists of bikes that are meant as a can-do-all machine. Road-bike fast, great for an urban commute, yet still willing to get adventurous and off the pavement when you want to.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/dual_sport
If you can have just one bike, make it a Dual Sport. These smooth-riding, adventure-loving bikes are fast on the road, capable and confident when the road turns rough, and ready to roll from road to trail if that’s where the day takes you.
The bike lineup from the dual-sport category I purchased from is the male-specific DS series.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/dual_sport/ds_series/
DS Series is the ultimate hybrid: part refined city bike, part adventurous trail ride. Fast 700c wheels, capable suspension, and a light, strong frame make DS the go-anywhere choice.

Why choose between road and trail? DS is built for adventure on or off the road, ready to take you from week to weekend and back in comfortable, confident style.
Doesn't that description just match the XV Crosstrek perfectly? ;)

The female version is the Neko:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/dual_sport/neko/

Okay, enough of my Subaru/TREK fanboyism, let's see some of your two-wheeled (or more) pedal-powered partners!

Album, MOAR pics here: http://imageshack.us/g/1/9889292/

My new 2013 TREK 8.4 DS :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My 2006 TREK 3900's handlebars for comparison of accessories

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Good looking bike! What would you say your riding level is? More of a gravel trail through the woods type rider, or can you scale up and down steep mountains?

I have a mountain bike that I've had for quite a while now, but sadly it is ~3,000 miles away on the other side of the country. I will be reunited with it the first week of January.

Sadly, I haven't ridden it more than just around on the streets in a couple of years. I was thinking about fixing it up and hitting the trails again as there are some awesome ones in the Los Angeles area.

I can't even remember the brand of bike it is....I'll post up once I either remember or when I see it again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have never been much into biking. The idea of it has always sounded great to me, but I've never really gotten into actually doing it, haha. I had a Diamond back BMX as a kid that I used to ROCK, but those days are over.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ClubCrosstrek said:
Good looking bike! What would you say your riding level is? More of a gravel trail through the woods type rider, or can you scale up and down steep mountains?

I have a mountain bike that I've had for quite a while now, but sadly it is ~3,000 miles away on the other side of the country. I will be reunited with it the first week of January.

Sadly, I haven't ridden it more than just around on the streets in a couple of years. I was thinking about fixing it up and hitting the trails again as there are some awesome ones in the Los Angeles area.

I can't even remember the brand of bike it is....I'll post up once I either remember or when I see it again.
Well, I'm decently confident in my ability to ride, but unfamiliar trails will require some getting used to before I can feel confident about bombing down them at speed. Of course, lots of trails also have speed limits so there's that to take into consideration as well.

So I would say I'm in the lower-end of what one may call an intermediate mountain biker. I still don't know the little tips and tricks that the mountain bike racers do, but I have lots of experience just riding two wheels.

Got said:
I used to have a Trek, it got stolen. Now I ride a Costco special ;D ;D Although as a Subaru owner I should support Trek and buy a new one. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/team/subarutrek/
Awwww wow, the though of a stolen bike INFURIATES ME! Which is why I have the lock pictured. But what I really want is Kryptonite's top-of-the-line New York Legend chain lock.

And yes, support Subaru-TREK! You going to get a road bike? A dual-sport? Hardtail mountain? Freeride?

PhilForce said:
I have never been much into biking. The idea of it has always sounded great to me, but I've never really gotten into actually doing it, haha. I had a Diamond back BMX as a kid that I used to ROCK, but those days are over.
Awwww, well at least you've had great memories on two wheels :)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
On the subject of stolen bikes, I had my aforementioned mountain bike stolen once from the railing outside my apartment door on the THIRD floor. Someone just came up, cut the lock, and walked it down one night.

About two days later, my roommate at the time was walking into his class at the college right next to our apartment and there he sees my bike locked up outside (my bike had a sticker on it that was required by my apartment complex –– sort of a parking pass –– so it was definitely mine). My roommate skipped class and just waited for the guy to come out. He confronted the guy as he was unlocking my bike and was told that he bought it off a guy who had a bunch of bikes in the back of his truck for $100. The kid gave the bike right back to my roommate and gave him his phone number in case I was able to find the thief and needed him as a witness.

All and all the kid seemed honest and I didn't pursue it further, I was just glad to have my bike back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also do NOT support Trek. They currently have a lawsuit with Subaru over the word Crosstrek. They think it somehow relates to Trek.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tech707 said:
Also do NOT support Trek. They currently have a lawsuit with Subaru over the word Crosstrek. They think it somehow relates to Trek.
Doh! Didn't know that...

Was posted a week ago on MTBR, never caught it
http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/trek-sues-subaru-827812.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/50738-subaru-getting-sued-trek-bicycle-co.html

After seeing those threads, I feel stupid now. Anyways, I hope Trek stops the nonsense because the two already have a freakin' partnership in that racing team....

And just wow...

I have both brands in my household...

I'm disappointed in TREK, but torn between the two...

·
Registered
74 Posts
AWDfreak said:
Tech707 said:
Doh! Didn't know that...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/50738-subaru-getting-sued-trek-bicycle-co.html

After seeing those threads, I feel stupid now. Anyways, I hope Trek stops the nonsense because the two already have a freakin' partnership in that racing team....

And just wow...

Well at this point it seems as though Trek has no choice. If they drop this then they can't sue anyone else who uses the name.....although I feel Crosstrek in no way relates to Trek. Way to kill your best team sponsor Trek. I wonder if Subaru will partner with another bike company....Specialized maybe?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Tech707 said:
Started a new thread for discussion on the lawsuit so we don't clutter this one. Riding bikes makes me happy.....sue happy morons don't.
http://clubcrosstrek.com/index.php/topic,232.new.html#new
Thanks for the link, definitely new info to me. Good thinking, we'll save the sue discussion for that thread.

As far as the picture you posted, it looks like you are seriously into biking, what riding level do you think you're at and how long have you done it? All this mountain bike talk is giving me an itch to go give it a shot again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a very strong passion for mountain biking and feel it is hands down the most fun you will ever have exercising. I have been riding for about 3 years now. I started riding in the very flat south Florida as an alternative to running. I am a very fitness oriented person so I would go jogging, but I hated 90% of it. I picked up mountain biking as a very fun alternative. Mountain biking really took a big turn for me when I moved up to the northeast. My old bike which was more than sufficient for south Florida was now extremely incapable of what I was trying to ride. I started shopping for 6" full-suspension all-mountain 26" bikes with a possible interest in 650B. At one of my local bike shops (Zane's Cycles in CT I HIGHLY recommend) I was basically forced into trying a 29er. It was the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er which you see in the picture. I had tried many 26" bikes and nothing felt so perfect. Being almost 6'1" the 29er wheels and Stumpy geometry felt perfect. I tested a few other 29ers, but I was sold on the Stumpy. I had no real need for the carbon as I don't race and felt the Evo version was not worth it without a Fox34. The bike has opened up a whole new realm of riding and I'm riding features that I once thought were near impossible. The bike climbs tremendously and really shines when it's pointed down. I have added a dropper post(really all the bike needed), converted to tubless and switched to 2.3" tires, and swapped to a slightly shorter stem. I am thinking about swapping the fork out for a Fox Float 34 and reducing the travel to 140mm. I have started to seek out more difficult trails and when it gets real rough and rocky(which happens a lot hear in New England) the Float 32 seems a bit "noodly". I am grinning ear to ear every time I throw a leg over it. What started as an alternative to running turned into one of my favorite activities.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I used to run about four nights a week. I have been an active person and a regular gym-goer for quite a while now, but cardio has never been "fun" to me like some people claim. Also, I have bad knees and running really pound on them to a point where it makes it difficult running long distances, or more than a few times a week.

I really want to try to get back into biking now that I am reading these posts. I have a decent bike that could probably be fixed up for cheap and I could try it out again and go from there.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tech707 said:
AWDfreak said:
Tech707 said:
Doh! Didn't know that...

And just wow...

Well at this point it seems as though Trek has no choice. If they drop this then they can't sue anyone else who uses the name.....although I feel Crosstrek in no way relates to Trek. Way to kill your best team sponsor Trek. I wonder if Subaru will partner with another bike company....Specialized maybe?
Yeah, it's a shame they have to resort to this but damn.... I don't want them to partner up with Specialized since it seems they set the standard of "sue happy" bike companies... at least that's what it seems.

Thelosis said:
Maybe their bikes ain't selling?
Not exactly. The local bike shops around here say the Trek Dual Sport bikes sell very well.

As for cardio, I have almost no motivation for jogging/running until my body starts to tell me it's fun.

It's even more fun with a bike. I simply ADORE the joy of physical fitness combined with the fun of the mechanical involvement (shifting, braking, etc).

It's the best of both world's I both enjoy and need. I enjoy riding bikes, and it helps me enjoy the world in a way no other activity can let me do. I enjoy exploring on a bike, the joy of properly utilizing the gearing of my bike, taking advantage of being both a vehicle and pedestrian.

And when I actually do get on trails, it's nothing but pure joy with nature, my own physical fitness, and my ability to use my mechanical horse, my mountain bike. :)

1 - 20 of 113 Posts