Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought our 2017 Crosstrek in Dec 2016. It has VERY low mileage - 13k. Several times we've had trouble removing the ignition key even in park. Does anyone else have this problem? I found a service bulletin which describes a design change to deal with the problem.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10153178-9999.pdf - given our VIN the production change should have already taken place yet the service bulletin is from 2018.

While we're past the year limit for the warranty we are WAY under the mileage covered.

If you've had this problem what did you do about it? Did Subaru cover it or deal with it in some way?

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are a few threads about this. Here's one ....

I went the route of disconnecting the connector in the steering column near the ignition key cylinder. Literally a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a few threads about this. Here's one ....

I went the route of disconnecting the connector in the steering column near the ignition key cylinder. Literally a 5 minute job.
Dennis,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, supplying the info on disconnecting the connector near in the steering column and the link to previous threads.

I had seen another thread that was similar. While many of the comments are "recent" they all seem to be talking about model year 2016 and before. My question is about model years 2017 and later. These should have had the redesign introduced in 2016. My question is whether anyone is having problems SINCE the redesign.

From the comments it looks like Subaru is charging to fix a part that had been identified as needing a redesign. I would have thought that if something needed redesign it should be replaced REGARDLESS of warranty status. That's why I asked whether Subaru covered the replacement.

And last but not least my dealer is describing this as a "shift plate" issue rather than a switch problem. For all these reasons I decided to start a new thread to see what the current status was.

Any information on these issues would also be helpful

Thanks again,
Ed in MI.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dennis,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, supplying the info on disconnecting the connector near in the steering column and the link to previous threads.

I had seen another thread that was similar. While many of the comments are "recent" they all seem to be talking about model year 2016 and before. My question is about model years 2017 and later. These should have had the redesign introduced in 2016. My question is whether anyone is having problems SINCE the redesign.

From the comments it looks like Subaru is charging to fix a part that had been identified as needing a redesign. I would have thought that if something needed redesign it should be replaced REGARDLESS of warranty status. That's why I asked whether Subaru covered the replacement.

And last but not least my dealer is describing this as a "shift plate" issue rather than a switch problem. For all these reasons I decided to start a new thread to see what the current status was.

Any information on these issues would also be helpful

Thanks again,
Ed in MI.
Might want to try getting a hold of Subaru Consumer Affairs, I seem to recall a friend in California with this exact same issue and the dealer wanting to charge them to repair it and they got a hold of consumer affairs and ended up getting it done no charge. Good luck with that whatever the outcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts