Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody- I'm posting about a 2019 Crosstrek, Vermont.
  • Engine 2.0L L4 DOHC 16V
  • Trim 2.0i Premium CVT
  • Continuously Variable Transmission, Manual
I got an oil change over a year ago, and they used the wrong oil and/or overfilled it. Immediately afterwards, the car started bucking, especially when shifting into second gear. It also could not accelerate uphill, and on the highways if there was a hill I was downshifting to 3rd just to get up, moving at about 40 mph.

I got the oil switched out, and the problem has improved, but still about a third of the time, it has a really hard time going up hills, and I have to downshift pretty drastically, and end up going at very low speeds. The worst is starting from a low speed or a stop, then trying to shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd going up any sort of incline. Usually if I build up a lot of speed, I can make it up a hill better. Every once in a while it works fine though- I have not noticed any correlation to why it works fine, and why it is lagging (ex. using other features in the car, temperature, time driven, etc.)

I've seen two mechanics, including one specializing in Subarus, gotten the computer rebooted, and they can't identify the problem- they said it's really hard to diagnose what is causing it. I'm wondering if anybody has experienced a similar problem with acceleration, especially when going uphills, or has any ideas? Thanks so much

·
Registered
9 Posts
How long did you run it with the bad oil? Too much oil will cause foaming, which essentially means the oil pump has whipped it (think whipped cream) and it is now semi-solid. If that was the issue, the folks replacing the oil should have checked to see (it's pretty obvious).

If they put the wrong oil in, it would not have caused the car to start bucking. It would have been harder to start in the cold, you'd possibly smell burning oil, it might cause an oil leak, gas mileage would drop, etc.

What have the mechanics checked on the vehicle? There a few things that will cause a car to jerk when accelerating. Dirty air filter, Dirty injectors, Clogged CAT converter, bad fuel pump/filter, MAF issue (dirty, faulty), etc.

I always double check the work if I have someone else do the oil. My wife took our Dodge Caravan to a local **** (rhymes will Tire Bone) and it started leaking oil a few days later. I told her to take it back and see if they spilled oil on the motor. They didn't really find anything, but said they thought one of the gaskets might need replacing and gave her a quote at $700. I told I her just bring the vehicle back. I had my mechanic check it out, and they had over tightened the filter and cracked the housing. $1200+ replacement. I told him to take care of it. Once I picked up the vehicle, I went the companies website and filed a complaint. I received a call to meet with the manager a few days later. I took the old part and the receipt for them to examine. I recieved a check for the repair bill a few days later. (It was that, or I told them we'd be meeting again in court).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for the response. I only had the bad oil in a day or so, because it immediately started bucking really badly so I took it right back to the place to complain. It was noticably better once they switched it out, but the problem is still there, and I've had the oil changed twice since then by two different mechanics, who I also told about the problem. The strange thing is that it's so hit or miss. One day it's fine, the next day I'm down shifting just to get up a hill.

The mechanics haven't checked anything because they have all said they can't diagnose it based on my description, even after I explained everything. The last one just rebooted the computer. So that's been the frustrating thing- of course, the one time a mechanic drove it to replicate the problem, it worked fine, so that didn't help.

The next time I take it in I'll definitely ask them about the things that you mentioned, so thanks for identifying those. It definitely helps to have a starting point, or know what to ask the mechanic specifically, since I'm not as knowledgeable about these things as I would like.

Glad you got the money back for the repair!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts