Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I proudly own the '14 model XV for almost 2 years now. So far, I've had troubles having the passenger side quarter glass assembly fixed. The quarter glass was emanating wind noise as if the passenger window was cracked open. When you place your finger at the mid-section of the upper seal, you can feel the air coming in and it muffles the sound.

The first time I had it replaced I needed to take it in three separate times without resolve until I had run into the lead Maintenance/Mechanic at the Subaru dealership. When I took the mechanic for a quick drive on the highway to replicate the problem (that they supposedly failed to replicate previously), they finally repaired it.

It has now been less than a year and the quarter panel seal is defective again and the dealership does not want to repair the defective seal. They claim that it is past the 3 year/36,000 mile factory warranty and no longer covers the defective assembly. The extended warranty provided is from a company called "Portfolio" located in Virginia. The extended warranty does not cover "windows and its parts". The driver's side is a sound as ever; however, the passenger side is still "windy".

Isn't there supposed to be a labor/installation warranty that if the repair was not effective that they should cover all (or at the least most of the expenses)? What do you think my course of action should be. I want to refrain from contacting SOA if possible. Ideas?

P.S. Thank you all in advance for your input and putting up with my rambling.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
My first thought is to check the last repair order/invoice you got when the dealership last worked on the glass seal.

This should, though sometimes may not, contain all the fine-print stuff such as workmanship warranty information. In fact, it is imperative you keep it if you intend to go further to solve the problem at hand.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Per the back of the receipt, it has the following in faded print at the bottom of the document:

STATEMENT CONCERNING AMENDMENTS TO THE SONG-BEVERLY WARRANTY ACT AS FOLLOWS:
"A buyer of this product in California has the rights to have this product serviced or repaired during the warranty period. ...if the warranty repairs did not remedy the defect and the buyer notifies the manufacturer or seller of the failure of the repairs within 60 days..."

Since the repairs were finally made last year on October, it is no longer covered. Guess if the manager will not repair the defect on "good-faith" as the rep has explained, then I will have to shell out for the repairs. :-(

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
That's a bit of a shame...

I myself have another issue related to the glass. I cracked my windshield, had it replaced with the thicker 2015 Limited and higher trim level windshield and got ANOTHER crack. Thankfully it's not as severe (it's not a huge line), but I guess ~5000 miles a month means there's plenty more opportunity for gravel and debris to inflict damage on my windshield...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar problem. With the OEM glass, had 3 chips before a third debri sometime later made a crack connecting two of the original 3 chips. LOL After having it replaced by Geico using Safelite, had a crack appear from the bottom right corner of the windshield not more than two weeks after install. (about the hotter days in the southern Bay Area in California). To top it off, Safelite didn't follow Geico's instruction that I gave them for placing the heated glass since my XV had the Winter Package (as probably all XVs do).

I think I should opt for the same option as you had thus mentioned, the 2015's (as long as it too is heated)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts