Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, aside from what Subarus are made for, Rally/Rallycross, has anyone done any other, legal, racing in their XV?

I used to do a lot of autocross & wonder if the extra ride height would be a significant hindrance. There was a guy when I was racing that showed up a few times in a Forester (non-XT) & actually did pretty well.

The XV has stiffer suspension than the basic Impreza, right? So, I wonder if that helps reduce body roll.
The few videos I've seen show the XV doing pretty well in slalom tests, body roll-wise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I wanted a car I could race I wouldn't have bought an XV. As a matter of fact I bought my XV because I need something that can tow my race bikes to the track. Race **** that is meant to be on a track, not some raised economy car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My last 2 cars that I autocrossed definitely were meant to be on a track. '96 Saturn SL2 auto & a '97 Civic EX coupe. That's kinda part of the point with auto-x, run what you drive (except for the guys lucky ($$) enough to have dedicated auto-x cars).

Not planning on attempting a track day in an XV, but the occasional auto-x is a possibility.
Not sure if there are many amateur rally or rallycross events in SW Texas. But, if there are, that would be fun, too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ClubCrosstrek said:
I'm interested to know. Sure the XV isn't made for it, but it would be fun to do even if it preformed terribly.
I really don't think it'd do too badly (won't be able to give a confident answer there until I drive one). When the guy showed up in a Forester, it did pretty well, for an SUV.
Understeer was his biggest drawback, but IIRC, it was his first time at an auto-x in it.

I need to look around & see if there's any rallycross/rally stuff here in SW TX. Not sure who the governing body is over that, ie: SCCA for autocross.

Edit: SCCA governs rally/rallycross & there's a few events a little over an hour from me.

Curious though, from what I've been reading on NASIOC, the VSC kicks in pretty intrusively if/once the car starts getting sideways. Anyone experience this? Wonder how this would affect rallycross in an XV.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Save up $2,000 and go buy something like a Miata or 240sx. It would be a ton more fun and you could do legitimate track days with it. There is also a Spec Miata race class that you can race in a basically stock class. Cheapest way to get into racing and it is a ton of fun.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
HoustonXV said:
Curious though, from what I've been reading on NASIOC, the VSC kicks in pretty intrusively if/once the car starts getting sideways. Anyone experience this? Wonder how this would affect rallycross in an XV.
Can't you just turn VSC off or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
HoustonXV said:
VDC can be partially turned off. Most Subaru models cannot be fully defeated as far as I know.

Supposedly, the torque-biasing braking still occurs (i.e. the LSD substitute through use of braking slipping wheel).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tech707 said:
Save up $2,000 and go buy something like a Miata or 240sx. It would be a ton more fun and you could do legitimate track days with it. There is also a Spec Miata race class that you can race in a basically stock class. Cheapest way to get into racing and it is a ton of fun.
Not wanting to add 2 cars to my garage/insurance.
Hence the autocross/rallycross idea. Race what you drive daily.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AWDfreak said:
ClubCrosstrek said:
HoustonXV said:
VDC can be partially turned off. Most Subaru models cannot be fully defeated as far as I know.

Supposedly, the torque-biasing braking still occurs (i.e. the LSD substitute through use of braking slipping wheel).
From what I've been reading, it's worse on the CVT Imprezas than on the MT models. Sounds like it's fine when the car is a little sideways, but any correction made through the steering wheel cause the VDC to kick in.
Some guys on NASIOC have tried disabling it without much success. The VDC button only partially disables it. Some of them were to the "I'm selling my car because of this" point. A little over the top IMO.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
To each their own, I guess. If the car isn't preforming the way you wanted it to, why keep it? It seems like Subaru should allow a full disable of VDC one way or another, even if they say it will void your warranty and is you responsibility -- it's still your car and you should be able to do what you like to it (within the law).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree, but I wouldn't go so far as to sell a car that I liked, just because I can't fully disable the VDC.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I spoke with my dealer about this. A tech came out of the back and joined the conversation. He said the Impreza can be fully turned off by doing something with the key(I think), but it resets every time you turn the car off. He wasn't sure on the XV, but it may be worth looking into for some.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tech707 said:
I spoke with my dealer about this. A tech came out of the back and joined the conversation. He said the Impreza can be fully turned off by doing something with the key(I think), but it resets every time you turn the car off. He wasn't sure on the XV, but it may be worth looking into for some.
Good to know. Especially if doing something like rallycross, where intrusive VDC could definitely slow you down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts