Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our radio automatically turns on when we start our 2020 Crosstrek...is there a way to disable this feature so that the radio does not automatically turn on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our radio automatically turns on when we start our 2020 Crosstrek...is there a way to disable this feature so that the radio does not automatically turn on?
Hello from Phillip. I have a 2018 Crosstrek Limited, all the bells and whistles, it came with the Harmon Kardon "info-entertainment system". When I first got my new Crosstrek, everytime I started the vehicle the info-entertainment system i.e. "radio" would automatically turn on. Most annoying. Harmon Kardon in conjunction with Subaru of America addressed this problem, as there were a lot of unhappy Subaru owners. And btw, this problem is with all Subaru vehicles with this system for 2018 model year and forward. There is a "re-programming" of the system available to all Subaru owners (free of charge) from your local dealership. Once re-programmed, you will no longer have this issue. Had mine re-programmed, hot dam, took care of the problem. Having said that, please be aware that you still need to turn the "radio" off by holding the left hand button in for 5 seconds before you turn the engine off to disengage the radio so that it will not turn on automatically when you turn on the engine the next time.
If you don't " turn the radio off" as mentioned above, the system is still gonna think you want the radio on when you start the vehicle. Also, if you do not follow the procedure as mentioned above and only push the left hand button once, that only "mutes" the radio, i.e.does not turn off the radio completely. When you start the vehicle is this "mode" the radio will turn on again at engine start up. keep in mind that if you are trying to have a conversation with other passengers in the vehicle and want to mute the audio for a moment, just push the left hand button once for mute then once again for audio on. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Phillip...I'll check in with Subaru to get this done...thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
BTW, Subaru of America and Harmon Kardon was well aware of this problem and did nothing about it until their "info-entertainment" systems started going "south" on them and they couldn't ignore the problem any longer. It took long time Subaru owners to stand up and make them "fix" the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
BTW, Subaru of America and Harmon Kardon was well aware of this problem and did nothing about it until their "info-entertainment" systems started going "south" on them and they couldn't ignore the problem any longer. It took long time Subaru owners to stand up and make them "fix" the problem.
Also, this problem with the info-entertainment system was a "recall" from Subaru and Harmon Kardon and you should have been notified. If not, then enlighten them. LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting read. I am one that does not mind that radio being on when I start up. However, I do wish that the radio would not start at the last volume. That is quite annoying at 4am to have the volume cranked. Yes, I know, I should simply turn it down before I hop out of the car, but often I forget. I do not which car it was, but I do recall having a car system that would set the radio at a low volume for startup. That would be a neat feature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, this problem with the info-entertainment system was a "recall" from Subaru and Harmon Kardon and you should have been notified. If not, then enlighten them. LOL
Hey let me know how it turns out for you.
Interesting read. I am one that does not mind that radio being on when I start up. However, I do wish that the radio would not start at the last volume. That is quite annoying at 4am to have the volume cranked. Yes, I know, I should simply turn it down before I hop out of the car, but often I forget. I do not which car it was, but I do recall having a car system that would set the radio at a low volume for startup. That would be a neat feature.
Exactly why most people complained, if you forgot to turn down the volume before turning the engine off, the next time you turned on the engine you would get blasted. Not fun when you're not expecting this to happen at 5 AM in the morning.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am not saying it is. Only saying that we had a car once that the volume would always start out low. Thinking it is an Adaptive system. It might be on the wife's CRV, though not sure. Might even have been the '09 Forester, but my memory is horrible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, meant to tell you about another interesting feature this "radio" has. Even AFTER the dealership reprograms your system, be aware that when the radio is on and the engine is on, the radio will remain on for about 15 seconds AFTER you shut the engine down (unless you completely shut the radio off before shutting the engine off). AND unless you have turned the radio off completely BEFORE you shut the engine down, the next time you start the engine the radio will still turn on automatically. So in order to prevent the radio from turning on automatically you must push and hold the left hand button (4-5 seconds) until the touch screen turns off and the radio turns off simultaneously, then shut the engine off. PLUS, if you open the driver's side door during the 15 seconds after turning the engine off, the radio shuts off, but will automatically turn on again when the engine starts. So the moral to this story is this, after your info-entertainment system is reprogrammed, the ONLY way to prevent automatic turning on of the system, is to be sure to push and hold the left hand button until the touch screen/radio shuts off BEFORE shutting the engine off. Forgive me if this is confusing or sounds like I'm repeating myself, but the dealership and Subaru of America tech reps were of little to no help in figuring out this problem. None of this information can be found in the manual for the info-entertainment system either. I'm one of those geeks that reads manuals, so I found it frustrating when it (manual) and Subaru were no help. Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe an unintended consequence of this update was to lose a neat little trick to turn the large screen off. Holding down the volume know would mute the sound and turn the screen off. Turning the knob would bring back the sound but the screen stayed off until another function was performed.
I loved to be able to easily turn off that glaring and largely unnecessary screen when driving at night. Sadly it doesnt work that way anymore, but I can turn the radio OFF although I had already trained myself to simply dial the volume all the way down before exiting the car, so I have gained nothing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The radio coming on is a "feature" and hasn't been changed in any of the firmware updates, except for the addition of keeping the entire system off if that's the state it was in when the car was shut off. The left button appears to behave like an off button but it's just a pause/mute. When you restart the car it will revert to the state the radio was in before. The only way to keep just the radio off is to turn down the volume.

Holding down the left button will shut it down, however, this is shutting down the entire infotainment system, so you can't make a phone call or use nav, etc.

Updates can now be done over the air if you have Wi-Fi, or via the Aha app. Updates from the maps site are only available for cars that have the OEM nav.

Edited for typos, additional info.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I guess that mre it just becomes a learning curve. Have to turn down the volume before shutting the car off. I am getting better at.
Think of it as "retro" - you know, like the knob on the old car stereos that you had to turn anticlockwise until it clicked or the radio would come on the next time you started the car... 😸

What Harman did that makes it confusing is to have the push to pause/mute button NOT permanently keep the radio off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts