Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... so they were fitted within an hour.

I think they're OK. I don't mind a couple of exposed nuts or screw heads, they're the least of my problems. LOL

Generally, the stainless steel bracketry is of good quality, and the polyurethane flaps themselves are light yet have substance. The shiny surface doesn't faze me either.

All up - I like them. Let's see how they go offroad. I can see a mod coming, where I could fold them backwards and up and catch them there. Otherwise, the first rock I have to reverse back over is going to cleanly rip them off.

The car looks good with them on, and with the AT tyres and Forester rims it looks decidedly rallyish. I like it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Those look awesome!!

I had some universal urethane mudflaps (Sparco) on my Fiesta, and took them off. They were really loud at speed. I much preferred the stiffer basic rally armors.

How are those at speed? Are they loud at all? Any fender slap? I assume they would be quieter since they are direct fit.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Lookin good! We use a zip tie to hold the ones on our rally car back (or up for tarmac races).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers all :)

These are quiet at speed, which is relative, hey. I do no more than 130kph overtaking on our 110kph highways - police will have you for sure otherwise. Given that I mostly adhere to the law, I don't seem to hear these mud flaps at all at these speeds - nothing. No slapping, flapping or wind noise that I've yet detected. They've only been on for a day, so I'll let you know if I do over the next few.

I was looking at the cable-tie option, and have a plan for that now that you report that you've had success with it Subir_roo. A simple workaround. I like simple - there's less to fail. :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Agreed, the simpler the better! We lose maybe one tie a year but overall they hold up just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
The zip tie idea sounds great! Especially for situations where approach and departure angles are put to the test, definitely don't want to rip off the mud flaps!

But I'm considering using an idea I've seen on military trucks...

When I get my XV about a year from now, I want to run a custom-installed hook that's attached to the rear bumper and undercarriage (for the front ones). Basically the mud flap has a hole for the hook to attach, and the hook is installed higher up so that the mud flaps can fold back to prevent them from ripping off.

So when I know there's a situation the flaps will be ripped off, I can conveniently hook them up securely when necessary, and then let them loose and return to protecting the paint when the terrain starts to level out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts