Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ClubCrosstrek said:
Super cheap and looks really good, but I know I am not going anywhere close to my bumper with any kind of tool to cut holes in it! I would have to get a body shop to do it for me.

I believe you just pop out your reflectors in the lower corners and the pop in... wired up to running lights... done.....

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running lights...

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Ummm, doesn't that leave the XV without ANY rear light reflectors??? That might be a safety issue...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AWDfreak said:
Ummm, doesn't that leave the XV without ANY rear light reflectors??? That might be a safety issue...

Ya know.... you're right... didn't even cross my mind.... maybe put the reflector on the center cap where the rear fog is on some overseas models... that should work....

·
Registered
4 Posts
The kit is made of OEM reflectors which have LED's installed inside them so they still reflect. I installed this kit on my XV as running lights; they come on with the main headlights. The instructions say they can also be wired as brake lights or turn signals. However the instructions were flawed in that the location given to tie in the hot wire for a running light application was wrong. I figured out the problem with a voltmeter. The kit is simple but kind of a pain to install. The wires are too short and the connectors supplied are garbage. However having done it once I'm sure it would be easier the second time around.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The kit is made of OEM reflectors which have LED's installed inside them so they still reflect. I installed this kit on my XV as running lights; they come on with the main headlights. The instructions say they can also be wired as brake lights or turn signals. However the instructions were flawed in that the location given to tie in the hot wire for a running light application was wrong. I figured out the problem with a voltmeter. The kit is simple but kind of a pain to install. The wires are too short and the connectors supplied are garbage. However having done it once I'm sure it would be easier the second time around.
Link to kit???? Where did you get it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made my own version of these for like 30 bux and I have them as both brake and running lights. Two strips per reflector. One lights up with the runners, and both light up when I press the brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made my own version of these for like 30 bux and I have them as both brake and running lights. Two strips per reflector. One lights up with the runners, and both light up when I press the brakes.
care to write up a DIY? Or link to the LED strips used? How did you mount them?

·
Registered
69 Posts
question. been thinking of switching out one of the reflectors for a rear fog light. i know about the one that can go in the center of the bumper.

how well does this LED light cut through fog? i know on older outback/legacy wagons there was a rear fog light kit available.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
As far as I'm aware, all Subaru OEM rear fog lights have been of the conventional incandescent bulb type. I could be wrong, though.

According to an excerpt I found from Gorilla Offroad, some LED's may not be the best for fog. Scroll down a bit after opening the link and you will see the article and what I mean.

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions | Gorilla Offroad Company

·
Registered
347 Posts
As far as I'm aware, all Subaru OEM rear fog lights have been of the conventional incandescent bulb type. I could be wrong, though.

According to an excerpt I found from Gorilla Offroad, some LED's may not be the best for fog. Scroll down a bit after opening the link and you will see the article and what I mean.

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions | Gorilla Offroad Company
AWDfreak, I'm assuming you have bought their products? I'm only asking because I really want mudflaps and it seems everyone has Rallyarmor ones vs this brand. Gorilla is way cheaper and I was wondering if you know of any difference.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
AWDfreak, I'm assuming you have bought their products? I'm only asking because I really want mudflaps and it seems everyone has Rallyarmor ones vs this brand. Gorilla is way cheaper and I was wondering if you know of any difference.
I actually have not bought any of their products, yet.

The Rallyarmor mudflaps are popular because they're a proven brand and they've been "the Subaru thing" to do to a Subaru.

These high-coverage mud flaps do great for protecting paint, but for off-roading, they can become a nuisance. Reversing requires care, as it isn't too difficult to rip them off.

I have the Rally Armor UR mudflaps, and while they're quite good, the brackets hang down quite low (easy to bend due to being vulnerable to objects and debris) and the initial shine of the mudflaps is annoying (though it does fade away).

I hope someone with the Gorilla Offroad mudflaps would chime in, as I don't have any personal experience with them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i just want something subtle enough that doesn't stick out like a chopping board.

I get the need for them to stick out a bit to protect the body. I might pull the trigger on the Gorilla guards.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd be interested in getting the Gorilla guards as well, the tough question is color haha. Thanks for the feedback AWDfreak, I dont do much if any offroading so I dont think the Rallyarmor ones would effect me too much, just want them to protect my paint for the most part

1 - 20 of 25 Posts