Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, asking for suggestions here. I'm thinking about building some kind of small/tall/thin storage box for my "trunk". I have a bunch of tools and jumper cables and such in there just sliding around and it really annoys me. I'm big on organization and am a minimalist. So I'm thinking that I can build a easy box with some scrap plywood I have lying around and secure it back there somewhere to hide all the stuff and condense it. Anyone seen or done anything like this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can also vouch for the Rola. It rocks :D Do all your grocery shopping and drop everything into the Rola. Take the whole load out at once if not too heavy. Also keeps stuff from flying around while driving, and goes flat when not in use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd go for a milk crate too.... I have some of those and a laundry hamper for all my mountain biking gear. I like that it's well ventalated so it doesn't get stinky :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you looking for something more like the tuffy drawer? They don't make them for the Subaru yet but you may be able to find one for a generic SUV function

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, the Rola fits nicely, doesn't slide, and looks great.. Just keep in mind it isn't designed to be lifted out with items within it (unless they are pretty light)...

BeachAV8R

·
Registered
32 Posts
I, too, was looking for a good storage box. I got used to have a mini truck box in the bed of my Baja and it was really useful. It's too big for the Crosstrek, so I was hoping someone had found something similar! I have the milk crate from past cars with traditional trunks, but I wanted something "shiny" for the new Crosstrek.

That Rola is really nice, but I think I'd like something a little more enclosed to hide the ugly old tools and cables.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not really into the "fabric" organizers. I use a very large plastic tool box for mine. Check out "American van", they have cool storage ideas for work trucks that might work here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought two Rubbermaid Wide bins for the cargo area. Made all the difference for me, and looks better than a milk crate. I bought one as a trial, then went back to Target for a second one to fit right beside it. The Rubbermaid web page didn't list them, and I didn't find them at other Target stores - not sure why.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the big 48 gallon in the back of the Baja, but I was thinking of trying the 24 gallon in the XV. I want something to hold the tool kit, first aid kit, the jumper cables, the emergency kit, etc. These boxes are very versatile and can be strapped to a hitch mounted carrier or on the roof, too, as they can be locked and are really water tight. The problem is that the 24 gallon is an odd size to fit into the hatch of the XV. It just takes up too much space and it's too long to stuff in there against the side of the hatch. If only they made a size in between the 8 gallon and the 24 gallon! Have to hunt for a similar style container with more XV friendly dimensions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trucklett said:
I had the big 48 gallon in the back of the Baja, but I was thinking of trying the 24 gallon in the XV. I want something to hold the tool kit, first aid kit, the jumper cables, the emergency kit, etc. These boxes are very versatile and can be strapped to a hitch mounted carrier or on the roof, too, as they can be locked and are really water tight. The problem is that the 24 gallon is an odd size to fit into the hatch of the XV. It just takes up too much space and it's too long to stuff in there against the side of the hatch. If only they made a size in between the 8 gallon and the 24 gallon! Have to hunt for a similar style container with more XV friendly dimensions.
I think the 24 would fit ok

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trucklett said:
It would definitely fit fine parallel to the seats, but I was looking for something to fit longitudinally up against the side of the car, and think this is too long (at least according to my measurements). Will check when I get home tonight, as this one looks interesting, too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TOJ9DY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02QGD3QFJY7E0X7JEW2K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846
Oh, I really like the Plano trunks!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts