Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my spoiler and mesh grill delivered yesterday. The grill was fine and installed, but then I noticed there was no install directions, nuts or template to install the rear spoiler. I've contacted SubaruGenuineParts.com about the missing pieces and they have told me I need to return the entire spoiler, wrapped up in the original box and they'll send out another one. Ok, fine... but the box it needs to be shipped back in, has to be the original box the spoiler came in (The entire package needs to be sent back to Subaru as a defective part). I won't lie, ripped that thing to shreds looking for the nuts and template. They said they cannot just ship those parts separately because its all part of a kit. Well F***. I'm not angry with SubaruGenuineParts.com or Subaru, I'm just impatiently looking at this thing sitting on my table in the garage (its like getting the one most awesome present you have ever wanted on Christmas... and not having batteries to work it).
So, i'm asking for some help. Does anyone know where to find the template for the rear spoiler online and also, what size the nuts are. I'm pretty certain there is a how-to on the install somewhere, but will not even try to attempt putting it on with out the template.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That sucks!! I don't believe this is an isolated incident. I believe this happened to someone on another forum. I could be wrong though... But does sound vaguely familiar.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
714 Posts
That seams a little bit ridiculous. Honestly if we ran into that situation here we would simply order another one and pull the parts you needed out for you. A Subaru dealer can claim a part with missing pieces so all they should have to do is order another one, send you the parts needed and make a claim for the second one they ordered. I'm not sure why they aren't just doing that for you.

I haven't seen the template online anywhere but I'll dig a bit at work and see if I can find it for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subir_roo said:
That seams a little bit ridiculous. Honestly if we ran into that situation here we would simply order another one and pull the parts you needed out for you. A Subaru dealer can claim a part with missing pieces so all they should have to do is order another one, send you the parts needed and make a claim for the second one they ordered. I'm not sure why they aren't just doing that for you.

I haven't seen the template online anywhere but I'll dig a bit at work and see if I can find it for you.
Thanks man, I appreciate the looking. I've been trying myself but all i come up with are the PDF of the actual install. I may just go to the dealership this weekend and see if they have any templates that have already been used. I was a little surprised that the return policy was that big of an issue. ...its 4 nuts (maybe 4 washers? I don't know) and 2 pieces of paper. I'm not asking for a whole new factory painted spoiler. The spoiler looks great (sitting in my garage).

·
Registered
714 Posts
I also found the PDF but can't find a template that's printable. I'm assuming it would be a PITA to size the thing correctly on a printer with multiple sheets and all that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GOOD NEWS! SubaruGenuineParts.com has sent all the missing pieces and I received them last night. So hopefully the spoiler will be going on today.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Great news Larry!!!! Glad they came thought for you!!!! You might beat me to the install ... But I will do a DIY thread for mine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, nothing like drilling into a brand new car to get your heart pumping!

·
Registered
927 Posts
LarryA said:
Awesome, nothing like drilling into a brand new car to get your heart pumping!
Lol!!! Make sure you use an automatic center punch to mark before you drill... Keeps the bit from walking on you... That would suck!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure do, I've had all the tools lined up for a week now, lol.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nice! Glad to hear that they got your all set up! Post a picture once that thing is on there!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just installed my spoiler and one of my bolts broke. I thought that someone else had this issue and I'm trying to figure out how to fix this problem. A couple of the bolts that hold the spoiler on were hard to start but one just broke. I wasn't even cranking on it. Does anyone have any idea what I can do now?

·
Registered
927 Posts
That sucks! :mad:

Did it break off flush with the mold or do you have threads showing above the mold?

You have a couple options depending on where and how it broke....

Start a new thread and post up some pics.... we have quite a few avid mechanics and techs on CCT.... we will help you out.... ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey LaVike! The same thing happened to me - on the last bolt of the install none-the-less. It took a bit to figure out what the part number is since it comes attached, and because no one has created documentation for most of the XV accessories yet. Anyway, after a few weeks I found that the bolts that come with the XV spoiler are the same ones that they have been using for previous model/year subies. You will need these:

SLIDE BOLT M6X20

SLIDE BOLT M6X35

The M6x35 is the longer bolt, and is actually what I ended up using even though I broke the smaller bolt. It just made it easier to reach since they are a little deep in door.

btw To remove the bolt from the spoiler you just have to slide it sideways out of it's slot. It might take a pair of pliers to remove it the first time.

Anyway, despite the waiting and troubles, I am very happy to have my spoiler on now - it definitely adds some sporty character.

p.s. if you're getting the spoiler thinking it will help keep the rain off the rear windshield, it doesn't really lessen it too much and it adds a drip line - not a reason not to get it though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Silverrey,
You are the best! I went to a hardware store and NAPA store and no one had any idea how to get this part.

My bolt broke off at the base so I don't think it can be fixed.

With your numbers, I called up a member on here who works at the local Subaru Tuning center and he's got 2 coming on the way. I also went with the longer ones. They have the extended prong so that it is more difficult to get cross threaded.

Thanks!

·
Registered
927 Posts
They are not hard at all... just ensure the nuts go on easy BEFORE you install the spoiler... if not.... chase the thread with a die and you will be set.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts