Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i press the trunk release on my remote, the car beeps but the trunk doesnt unlatch. i was inclined to believe that the remote trunk release was standard on crosstreks? am i mistaken or is something not right here...

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've never tried mine but walking outside now it does the same thing. Beeps but doesn't unlatch? Possibly a button or setting somewhere to enable/disable this option. I'll have to dig out the manual!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nope. The same fob is used for the XV and the Impreza 4- and 5-door versions.

On the 4-door Impreza, the trunk release button works as expected - it unlatches and releases the trunk lid.

On 5-door vehicles, it simply unlocks the hatch - and only the hatch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah ok, thank you for the clarification. i was expecting the trunk to unlatch like on our 2011 legacy. SHAME. i guess i'll just have to use my own manpower to release the hatch!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm with you....would be much more convenient if trunk actually popped open a inch or two.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have to agree... seems like they dropped the ball on this one.... :( With all the the technology, bells and whistles..... they missed the mark on the release... how sad...

There must be a reason they did NOT use an remote release or even an interior release system... hmmmm

·
Registered
714 Posts
That makes sense. My guess as to why is that it's much harder to pop a hatch than a trunk. The trunk springs enable it to just pop open a couple inches. If they put strong enough struts in there that the hatch would open by itself that would be downright dangerous! It would take a lot of pressure to pop the hatch a couple inches, and the problem is it wouldn't stop there. If you had enough pressure to get it moving in the struts it would FLY open. Talk about potential for a jaw injury.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was just coming back to this thread to ask if any hatchbacks had a trunk release, for the reasons Subir mentioned - though I hadn't thought about it to that degree.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Makes sense, Subir_Roo.... good insight... ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
My educated guess was to cut cost on the first series of the XV it's future relies on sales and a lot was cut out just to cut the price down. We are the guinea pigs on this one!

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's not accurate at all. The Imprezas current and past have not had this feature. Nor do the outbacks or Legacy wagons because having the hatch pop open (unless it is electronically controlled which costs a ton) would be very dangerous. To have an automatic hatch you have to open and close it using an electronic system which is complex and usually overpriced.

Not to mention, cutting features is not the way to boost sales on a car. All companies will try to give you the maximum features they can within the target price range of any car.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Well, Subaru does offer such a feature on the new 2014 Subaru Forester... though I am unaware of what kind of work is required to retrofit it to the Impreza-based XV...

·
Registered
714 Posts
The forester uses and electronic system for the hatch. Part of why the Forester has gone up a bracket in price is a lot of the more expensive features they have added. It would probably take quite a bit to retrofit something onto an XV but I'm sure with enough time and money you could do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts