Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After inquiring at Best Buy about new speakers for my XV, and finding out that installation would cost almost as much as the speakers themselves...does anyone have experience with removing the door panels? I'm pretty certain that I could install new speakers myself without too much trouble. An initial perusal of the door panels doesn't turn up anything obvious...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was going to type out some step by step directions since I did the Kicker Upgrade. But then decided to google for some instructions. Check out the attached PDF. It's the same instructions I received with my speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ive popped the doors off on every car i have ever owned and its very important for you to go buy a set of the plastic door pullers, harbor freight has them for cheap, lowes has them too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, for the information. Seems to be fairly simple, might have to pick up those door pullers and give it a shot. 8)

·
Registered
224 Posts
LittleBigHead said:
I was going to type out some step by step directions since I did the Kicker Upgrade. But then decided to google for some instructions. Check out the attached PDF. It's the same instructions I received with my speakers.
Very nice. Thanks much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did my speakers today. Not much of a DIY guy - never replaced the speakers before. So taking the door panels off was straight forward and I didn't need any plastic tools as I just used my hands. Simple as that. However, for me the trickiest bit was getting those electrical connectors off. The driver's side has 3 and I could only get 1 off :mad:. So I removed the unit (two screws) that has the cables for the door locks and propped the door panel (rotated 90 degrees) on a cardboard box. The others have only one electrical connector - easy enough to remove.

Also, remember to check if the white pins have come free or are still stuck in the door. You'll need to place them back on the door panel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree. You don't really need the plastic trim tools. But they do make prying off the door panel a bit easier. Plus getting a set for 8 dollars at my local Menards (for you midwesterners), why not. I can use it for other stuff. Like popping the tweeter covers off ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I even got some but never used them. I found it hard to find the locations of the pins and had read elsewhere to use your hands, starting at the area near the speakers. After one pull, they were almost all out. Which I was happy about. (The worst thing about doing an audio project is having to wait to hear how it sounds. After 4 hours or so it was killing me to find out.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts