Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard a noise in the rear after going past 40 mph, thought it was the tires but it was the bearings going bad at 45k miles wow!

Any body else had this issue?:mad:

PS:Covered by the power train warranty by the way

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
The wheel bearing failures have been rare but I do recall a thread or two where the wheel bearings failed prematurely.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just logged in to see when others were replacing wheel bearings. I have 105k on my 2013 and need to get one of the rear wheel bearings replaced. looks like I should have gotten it checked out before my 100k warranty was up...I thought it was the exhaust getting loud... :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
45k on a 2013? Perhaps these bearings are failing from a lack of use. Most vehicles don’t have an issue like that, but if Subaru used cheap bearings, I️ could see that happening. I’ve noticed the failures posted to this board tend to be older models with younger mileage. The folks that don’t have issue tend to drive them A LOT. Should be interesting to follow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2014 had both (drivers) left side wheel bearings go it 55K miles. It also started using oil, around 1 quart between 5K mile oil changes. I sold the car because I no longer trusted it. After owning 3 Subies, a bought a 2014 Volvo XC70 and it's everything that the 2 previous Subaru were. The Crosstrek was a dog.
Good Luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
105k miles!! You might be the winner. My local dealership said I had the most miles of anyone they've seen and I've only got 98k on my '13.

As for the post, I had both front axles replaced at about 55k and 65k, but no issues with wheel bearings. Thankfully.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Seems like the trend is ‘13-‘15 models. Anyone have this issue on the ‘16-‘17? (My 2017 has 25k on it, never an issue)

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Recently, my younger brother with a 2012 Subaru Impreza sedan (GJ chassis) and 5MT has had a wheel bearing-like noise from his rear end. He got his rear differential fluid changed, and his had significantly-darkened gear oil and quite a few shavings found. Hopefully after the fluid change, it will quiet down.

Despite over 103,000 miles of harsh driving, my wheel bearings are showing no signs of failure so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The rear wheel bearings on my 2014 Crosstrek had to be replaced at a little over 100k. The mechanic said he is seeing a high failure rate of wheel bearings across most makes of cars since the manufacturers went to sealed bearings. He said sealed bearings help keep dirt and moisture out of the bearing, but some eventually gets in and then is trapped there where it eventually destroys the bearing. The old style bearings were more open to the elements, however, they could be taken out to be cleaned and regreased so they lasted longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts