Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Subaru last year (a 2019 Crosstrek). I just came back from my dealer where the 30,000 mile service was performed. Good grief, I may have to return to Fords!!! In order to keep my paid for 100,000 mile warranty they require all recommended service to be performed. So, here we go........Oil change and tire rotation which I expected. Here is what I did not expect! They had to change the front and rear differential fluid, as the inspection showed it needed it and the service manager said they always need it every 30,000 miles. They showed me how black the oil was. Fuel system flush and treatment as these are direct injection engines and need it every 30,000 miles. Brake fluid flush and replace as they need it every 30,000 miles. Cabin Filter and Engine air filter (I expected that). My total bill came to over $600.00.

I cant wait for my 60,000 mile service when they need to do all the above AND change the spark plugs and the transmission fluid. They said to expect around $1200.00 for that service. And shortly thereafter I will need to change and flush the coolant. Good grief, my Ford F-150 that came with a lifetime warranty, had the differentials sealed for life. Brake fluid flush was like every 3 years. Spark plugs replacement was 100,000 miles. Coolant was 120,000. Transmission was only when needed (at 150,000 miles it still hasn't needed it.)

This is a very expensive car to maintain!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my first Subaru last year (a 2019 Crosstrek). I just came back from my dealer where the 30,000 mile service was performed. Good grief, I may have to return to Fords!!! In order to keep my paid for 100,000 mile warranty they require all recommended service to be performed. So, here we go........Oil change and tire rotation which I expected. Here is what I did not expect! They had to change the front and rear differential fluid, as the inspection showed it needed it and the service manager said they always need it every 30,000 miles. They showed me how black the oil was. Fuel system flush and treatment as these are direct injection engines and need it every 30,000 miles. Brake fluid flush and replace as they need it every 30,000 miles. Cabin Filter and Engine air filter (I expected that). My total bill came to over $600.00.

I cant wait for my 60,000 mile service when they need to do all the above AND change the spark plugs and the transmission fluid. They said to expect around $1200.00 for that service. And shortly thereafter I will need to change and flush the coolant. Good grief, my Ford F-150 that came with a lifetime warranty, had the differentials sealed for life. Brake fluid flush was like every 3 years. Spark plugs replacement was 100,000 miles. Coolant was 120,000. Transmission was only when needed (at 150,000 miles it still hasn't needed it.)

That’s pretty normal maintenance.. I would recommend an independent shop for a better price.

·
Registered
'21 Outdoor PYP "Fiona"
3 Posts
Dealers have their own maintenance schedule, which in my experience has more frequent and costly servicing requirements than the manufacturer's schedule (in the warranty and maintenance booklet). I always verify what is really required, and decline any extras.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told that if I did not get the work done, I would void my warranty. They said that if a differential went out it would cost me up to $8,000 to replace it. I felt that if I wanted to keep my warranty it had to be done. All I did with my Ford was oil change and tire rotations up to 100,000 miles. I'm at 200,000 now and the only thing I have done is spark plugs (other than filters and routine stuff). No brake fluid or coolant change. It runs perfect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently had the opposite experience, I am a very low mileage driver. I got a multi year service contract as a courtesy due to some issues I had when I bought the car. I went in recently for my 6000 mile one year service and was told that the cabin and engine air filters were NOT on the scheduled maintenance at that mileage and age despite where I live being near NYC hence the air is more dusty, The severe service schedule (which my private mechanic has told me to use on all my cars in the past) calls for these items to be changed annually. I finally called Subaru corporate and got it resolved as the service manager would not cooperate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently had the opposite experience, I am a very low mileage driver. I got a multi year service contract as a courtesy due to some issues I had when I bought the car. I went in recently for my 6000 mile one year service and was told that the cabin and engine air filters were NOT on the scheduled maintenance at that mileage and age despite where I live being near NYC hence the air is more dusty, The severe service schedule (which my private mechanic has told me to use on all my cars in the past) calls for these items to be changed annually. I finally called Subaru corporate and got it resolved as the service manager would not cooperate.
Thats crazy, they usually error on the side of more maintenance than less!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maintenance is where these dealerships make most of their money. I agree with using an independent shop. Only reason for the stealer ship is warranty work.
I was told that if I did not get the work done, I would void my warranty. They said that if a differential went out it would cost me up to $8,000 to replace it. I felt that if I wanted to keep my warranty it had to be done. All I did with my Ford was oil change and tire rotations up to 100,000 miles. I'm at 200,000 now and the only thing I have done is spark plugs (other than filters and routine stuff). No brake fluid or coolant change. It runs perfect.
differential change are cheap and easy to do. What’s $50 every 30,000. No fluid/oil is lifetime no matter what they try to tell you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
differential change are cheap and easy to do. What’s $50 every 30,000. No fluid/oil is lifetime no matter what they try to tell you.
I wish it were $50.00!! To keep my warranty they had to do it. Each differential was $139.00 just for the labor.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Definitely worth reading what is really required in the manual. I have found our dealer to be very inconsistent , and each department run totally separate from each other at least here anyway. Gone is the day that the salesman can pull a favour from the parts or service department. Best to develop a relationship with one person there you can trust ... if that is possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats crazy, they usually error on the side of more maintenance than less!
Note that this poster was on a Service Contract .. would be benificial $$$ for the dealer to skip things....also with the lower use it could be justifiable. Love our Crosstrek but it comes with its quirks just like all the others ..... Great to have a forum to share our experiences ....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Only allow work to be done thats needed for the safety inspection & emissions.
The warrenty run out on our 2004 Forester. Dealer said oil pump leaking. Needed replaced.
Guess what, that same oil pump was still on the car at 184,000 miles. Very little to no oil loss. No puddle under the car.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I toasted my rear rotors at 40000 km.
I had an extremely talented and versatile local garage do the replacement.
They are now Perfect again!
I ride the adaptive cruise really hard. I sometimes run the gas up against it!
I have had several panic stops at highway speed.
Plus lots of bumpy gravel roads I love them!

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is no such thing as a 30,000 mile differential service front and rear service.
Yep says Inspect which really means check the level. If you tow trailer more than once in awhile or are primarily in Stop and Go Traffic. Then it may be worth changing at some point but how often would really depend on use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My ‘18 crosstrek is my 4th Subaru. 20,000 miles so far, no problems.
my first was a ‘79 Brat that I maintained and modified myself. With 435,000 miles on the odo, I reluctantly passed it on to my son. 2 mid 80’s hatchbacks, and a ‘90 wagon I finally took a break from Subarus when I bought a Mazda RX7. The Subee has always been a dependable car in my opinion, and I’m hoping this Crosstrek proves to be just as reliable.
Shop around for a reliable shop, or do the work yourself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts