Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been pretty good so far about changing the F&R differential fluids at 30k, 60k and 90k. It is a little expensive but at least I found a local very reliable shop now that I used for the 90k service which is much more affordable than the dealership. I asked about changing the fuel filter too, and they told me our fuel filters are embedded within the fuel tank, making it a 6-8 hour labor job to remove and replace (!) and they recommended I could safely skip that.

The next big thing I need to face since my odometer is at about 97k right now is the scheduled timing belt replacement. Anyone had this done? Anyone skipped it with no harsh consequences?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The fuel filter is a tricky one as it is integrated into the pump assembly. I do all my own maintenance and don't generally shy away from jobs, but after seeing videos of the process I have decided to let it go until I have a problem. I have heard some claim that the new filters are generally good for the life of the fuel pump, but that is in conflict with maintenance schedules. I'm taking my chances anyway.

What year crosstrek do you have? I thought they all had timing chains that do not need replaced.

-Bret

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is very critical to read any extended warranty paperwork very carefully. It is not unusual that it will say that all servicing must be done by the brand dealership, common if you're extended warranty is through the manufacturer themselves, like Subaru! There are also many warranties out there that do not require dealership servicing. If the Finance & Insurance manager that sells does your final doc's claims you are not required to use a dealership service department, take it with a grain of salt and do your own homework. Some F&I managers are very honest and honorable, but there are plenty out there that are dishonest creeps. I learned this all too well over 50 years of buying cars!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my first Subaru last year (a 2019 Crosstrek). I just came back from my dealer where the 30,000 mile service was performed. Good grief, I may have to return to Fords!!! In order to keep my paid for 100,000 mile warranty they require all recommended service to be performed. So, here we go........Oil change and tire rotation which I expected. Here is what I did not expect! They had to change the front and rear differential fluid, as the inspection showed it needed it and the service manager said they always need it every 30,000 miles. They showed me how black the oil was. Fuel system flush and treatment as these are direct injection engines and need it every 30,000 miles. Brake fluid flush and replace as they need it every 30,000 miles. Cabin Filter and Engine air filter (I expected that). My total bill came to over $600.00.

I cant wait for my 60,000 mile service when they need to do all the above AND change the spark plugs and the transmission fluid. They said to expect around $1200.00 for that service. And shortly thereafter I will need to change and flush the coolant. Good grief, my Ford F-150 that came with a lifetime warranty, had the differentials sealed for life. Brake fluid flush was like every 3 years. Spark plugs replacement was 100,000 miles. Coolant was 120,000. Transmission was only when needed (at 150,000 miles it still hasn't needed it.)

This is a very expensive car to maintain!
Agree.....My '18 Crosstrek has 22,000 miles. I think the only service at the dealer was done was the first. I priced each following service there first but was shocked at the cost. I sold my BMW because of the horrendous service cost but service at the Suburu dealer is not much different. My wife's CRV is less than half the cost to service. The car has been excellent and oil changes have been done at 5000 mile intervals. It blows my mind how many Subaru owners avoid dealer service because of the costs. I much prefer dealer service but the car has been fine without it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts