Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New here and new to Subaru.
I just bought a 2019 Crosstrek Limited with Eyesight. I really like the vehicle but after a month, I find it is very noisy inside. Especially on the highway. Noisy from the tires (I suspect). They are the stock all season tires.

Is there a way to quiet it down? Undercoating, particular attention to the wheel wells?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mid levels and up get sound deadening glass but I see yours is a limited.
I haven’t found mine overly noisy but I do hear some road noise coming from the rear wheel arches.
In Quebec where they allow spiked snow tires to eat up the road we have noticed quite a roar in the summertime, in the outback.
Then we have the singing wine we get from concrete roads, which have made the jump from toll roads to everywhere here in Canada. As these concrete roads age they eventually get louder too.
I’m actually liking the falkin 18 inch wheels/tires although in my opinion the suspension is properly tuned for the 17 inch wheels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would say that my 2019 Limited is pretty darn quiet.

But my other vehicle is a soft top Jeep Wrangler so I wouldn't be surprised if my ears weren't calibrated the same as yours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mid levels and up get sound deadening glass but I see yours is a limited.
I haven’t found mine overly noisy but I do hear some road noise coming from the rear wheel arches.
In Quebec where they allow spiked snow tires to eat up the road we have noticed quite a roar in the summertime, in the outback.
Then we have the singing wine we get from concrete roads, which have made the jump from toll roads to everywhere here in Canada. As these concrete roads age they eventually get louder too.
I’m actually liking the falkin 18 inch wheels/tires although in my opinion the suspension is properly tuned for the 17 inch wheels.
I am in Canada, the Limited with EyeSight is the top of the line here. Not where you are?

·
Registered
268 Posts
“I am in Canada, the Limited with EyeSight is the top of the line here. Not where you are?”

Yes it’s the top of the line and well worth it.
I have a limited with every option except remote start)
My only contention was that mid level and up get the quieter glass. Also better shocks(Stablex suspension).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is the first but they are still using the same wheel bearings same goes for Impreza and forester. Not sure about the other models. It’s a easy fix not hard I’ve replaced them on a 2015 Forster and a 2017 Impreza and on my 2013 XV Crosstrek. All had the same noise and now no noise nice and quiet .

·
Registered
1 Posts
We own a 2017 Impreza that had a wheel bearing go at 15K miles. I just rented another of the same that had a had wheel bearing at 37K. I suspect wheel bearings may be prone to failure as I have personally seen it twice.

My own car is a 2019 Crosstrek and is only three months old. I’m keeping fingers crossed, but I have a lot of warranty left and now know the sound very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes Subaru has had rear wheel bearing problems since the early 2000s. I replaced mine at 40k now at 160k no problems I replaced it with a moog. I highly recommend using I highly recommend using moog very good company but pricey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had to replace rear bearing on my 2014 Crosstrek @40k under drivetrain warranty. Now I have another "growl". I will replace this one myself. There should be a recall, I've had numerous brands of cars with 100k+ miles and have not had to replace bearings.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You know what I found is a huge contributor to interior noise? The sunroof. And what I mean is when I have the sunroof closed, but the interior shade pushed back, it's MUCH louder than when the interior shade is pulled shut. I know that sounds crazy, but for me it's a huge culprit.
-Keith

·
Registered
64 Posts
it’s probably not the same issue, but when i first bought my ‘02 legacy (used), it quickly developed a nasty noise on the right side.

i was almost 1,000 miles from home, so i took it to a dealer, and the mechanic’s test ride confirmed that it was a bad wheel bearing. 😞

then he phoned me less than an hour later, that my car was ready! the noise was wheel-related, but not the bearings. not one of the 10 lug nuts on the right side were tightened at all, and i had just driven almost 1,000 miles with my family at highway speeds - the sound i was hearing was the wheels starting to fall off!

yammv.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know what I found is a huge contributor to interior noise? The sunroof. And what I mean is when I have the sunroof closed, but the interior shade pushed back, it's MUCH louder than when the interior shade is pulled shut. I know that sounds crazy, but for me it's a huge culprit.
-Keith
Thanks. It is not the sunroof. It is just a noisy interior. Perhaps it is the stock tires?
Wheel bearings are a mechanical issue and not related to my problem. Interesting thought hat so many have wheel bearing problems. Perhaps the off roading is hard on the bearings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2019 Crosstrek premium has less then 700 miles on it. The cabin noise seems to come from the passangers rear door. Tire noise.

The rubber seal on the door could be tighter. I took a long piece of thick paper and placed between door and rubber seal. Closed door on it, in different areas. Then pull it out. Some areas are tight, some are not.

When i go in for the 3 recalls (if needed) , i will ask if a better seal on the door is possible.

The all season tires do make more noise the regular tires. Imo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts