Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been surfin' around trying to find a roof basket to top off my Crosstrek. I'm looking for some additional storage for fishing and camping as well as a cool exterior mod to spruce up the appearance a bit. I came across both the Thule MOAB and the Yakima Load Warrior. I'm hoping someone has had some experience with these baskets and can provide some insight.

1.) Am I going to require an additional roof rack for the installation of these baskets or will they fit with the stock rails?
2.) What is your opinion of these baskets and the companies they are made by?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I don't have experience with either of the mentioned baskets, but I did just order myself the Curt basket. It is a cheaper option but everything I've heard about it leads me to believe it's great quality. I get mine in today so I'll have a firsthand review soon.

As for fitment, I believe the stock roof rails should be fine, as long as you have the crossbars, too.

I'm on my phone so I can't provide links, but hopefully that helps some.

- Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Club

Love to see some pitcures and love to hear how you like it. I want to do the same for my car.

Have a great extended weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ClubCrosstrek said:
I don't have experience with either of the mentioned baskets, but I did just order myself the Curt basket. It is a cheaper option but everything I've heard about it leads me to believe it's great quality. I get mine in today so I'll have a firsthand review soon.
I just checked out that Curt basket, it looks nice, and that price is easier to swallow too - I look forward to your take on it!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've heard good things about the Curt baskets in the past. I personally had a Rola basket on a previous car that was great for the price. They can be had online for a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the curt basket its great taller sides but that allows for more storage. It does take 2-3 mpg off the average when its on top though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I put mine on today after work but immediately went to gym then by the time I got home it was dark out. I will take pictures next week, followed by (hopefully) some higher quality photos next weekend.

What I can tell so far is:

- The instructions were a little unclear, at least to me, but if you use common sense it isn't a hard assembly/install at all.
- The basket seems quite high quality. Very sturdy and fits well on the OEM aero crossbars.
- It does add quite a bit of wind noise, but only noticeable with the sunroof open/cracked. I feel like the fairing may be what adds all of the noise -- I am going to remove it and see if the noise is still there as it really makes having the sunroof open not pleasurable.

I can't comment on the MPG yet, obviously, but I am sure it will cut a couple out. I actually am not too worried about it, though, and I plan on leave the rack on 99% of the time.

So far I feel like I made a good decision at $140!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went on AMAZON and bought the Heavy Duty Basket from RAGE. It looks like it was built for the XV and was easy to install. At the time I purchased I didn't notice, but it has an X on each side. It looks great and many XV owners have asked where I got it because it looks so good. I will post a pic later.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Schultzie213 said:
I went on AMAZON and bought the Heavy Duty Basket from RAGE. It looks like it was built for the XV and was easy to install. At the time I purchased I didn't notice, but it has an X on each side. It looks great and many XV owners have asked where I got it because it looks so good. I will post a pic later.
Looks good, how does the quality seem?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
N10S said:
I was checking this Kuat vagabond roof basket with integrated fork mount bike rack built in. Anyone have one of these on their Crosstrek?

http://kuatracks.com/en/products/cargo/vagabond/

Kuat makes some nice racks and this looks pretty innovative although like the regaular Kuat bike racks its a bit on the pricey side.
No experience with it, but the integrated bike rack is pretty cool!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've never personally owned one but have seen a few and a couple friends have them. Everyone seems to like them. Great option for XC/Road bikes and gear! I might get one to replace my current dual rocky mounts trays.... maybe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love the Yakima Megawarrior but that rack is costly! Hey Club, get around to taking some photos yet, dying to see them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts