Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm going to purchase a roof basket for my XV. Does anyone have any experiences with any? I'm not married to using the Subaru branded basket but will if it fits better or is better quality. I am picking up the aero cross bars that are Subaru, I want that fit to be true and as perfect as possible.
Any suggestions, photos and feedback is appreciated.
Have a happy 4th in the US and happy Wednesday elsewhere!!!
C

·
Registered
142 Posts
Chuck

I like my Curt Basket. It is functional, I can add a lot to it, it looks nice and it is literally less than half the cost of the OEM basket or a Thule or Yakima. There is a thread on the Curt Baskets and I have a picture of my Crosstrek with the basket on it. Look into it. Easy to install, not very heavy, looks good and it is functional.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
josemendez said:
Chuck

I like my Curt Basket. It is functional, I can add a lot to it, it looks nice and it is literally less thank half the cost of the OEM basket or a Thule or Yakima. There is a thread on the Curt Baskets and I have a picture of my Crosstrek with the basket on it. Look into it. Easy to install, not very heavy, looks good and it is functional.
+1 to this. I have the Curt and love it. For under $200 it is such a good bargain for what you get. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
552 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
josemendez said:
Chuck

I like my Curt Basket. It is functional, I can add a lot to it, it looks nice and it is literally less thank half the cost of the OEM basket or a Thule or Yakima. There is a thread on the Curt Baskets and I have a picture of my Crosstrek with the basket on it. Look into it. Easy to install, not very heavy, looks good and it is functional.
+1 to this. I have the Curt and love it. For under $200 it is such a good bargain for what you get. Highly recommended.
Give another + for the Curt. Im gonna pull the trigger on one when she drops to $125 on Amazon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curt it is. I've heard and read a lot about them and they always get good reviews. Stick with the OEM aero rails still?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Most of the aftermarket baskets should fit on the stock cross bars without any problem. There's a lot of options out there for baskets but the curt does seem to get great reviews!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
josemendez said:
I would. Are you talking about the rails or the crossbars? I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

The rails are standard on the XV, I'm talking about the aero cross bars that would go side to side.

Thanks all, I think the plan will be Subaru aero bars and the Curt basket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with the Rage Heavy Duty Vehicle Roof Cargo Basket from Amazon. I almost went with a Curt, but this Rage just looks like it belongs on the Crosstrek.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AA, love the color! I wish I had that one rather than my silver. Oh well. You are right, it looks like it belongs. Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
AnotherAdventure said:
I went with the Rage Heavy Duty Vehicle Roof Cargo Basket from Amazon. I almost went with a Curt, but this Rage just looks like it belongs on the Crosstrek.
How's the wind noise with that rage rack? and also, off subject, what % is your front window tint?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The wind noise from the rack is not very noticeable as it has a fairing attached to the front of it. I actually get more wind noise from the bike rack on the back. Front windows were tinted to match the back, I want to say 25%.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I use the aero bars with my Curt rack and am very happy with them. I know some of the aftermarket bars offer more functionality, but the aeros are all I need. I will say the Curt basket is pretty damn loud, though. I can't ride with my sunroof open when the rack is up there as it drives me nuts.

On another note, that Rage basket looks AWESOME. I really like it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so after all the feedback and counting the change in my piggy bank, I purchased the Subaru aero cross bars, Curt roof basket, brand x roof bag and the Curt netting. All in, $390.00. All from Amazon and should all be delivered between today and Tuesday...love my Prime membership!

Thanks all for your feedback and suggestions...Colorado road trip, here we come...in 6 weeks!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Good choices, I think you'll be really happy with your decision. I did notice that a few weeks after initial installation of the Curt rack, the wingnuts should be tightened down again (if you keep the rack up there all the time like I do). Seems like I was able to tighten everything down a good bit more after the rack got "settled". Since then I haven't had to tighten them, though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I planned to tighten often, never to safe!

What have you noticed for MPG with the rack installed all the time?

The XV is in the shop :mad: again. Once it's paroled, I'll shoot some pics and post here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts