Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Not sure if this particular issue has ever been brought up. I did a search and found a lot about the roof racks, but this issue seems to be more about the roof itself. Who knows, maybe it's the roof rack and I just don't know. A lot of the times, mainly on the highway, it sounds like the roof is popping up and down. The material that the roof is made out of is very thin, so I wasn't sure if this was just a common issue with Crosstrek's or not. First time it happened, it scared the crap out of me, thinking my roof was going to fly off haha. Never had a roof rack on previous cars, so I wasn't sure if that's common with cars that do have them. Has anyone had this issue, if so, were you able to fix it? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I personally have not had any roof noise. I have heard the unibody flex when off-roading, but nothing like the roof popping, more like the entire body creaking a little.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi everyone,
Not sure if this particular issue has ever been brought up. I did a search and found a lot about the roof racks, but this issue seems to be more about the roof itself. Who knows, maybe it's the roof rack and I just don't know. A lot of the times, mainly on the highway, it sounds like the roof is popping up and down. The material that the roof is made out of is very thin, so I wasn't sure if this was just a common issue with Crosstrek's or not. First time it happened, it scared the crap out of me, thinking my roof was going to fly off haha. Never had a roof rack on previous cars, so I wasn't sure if that's common with cars that do have them. Has anyone had this issue, if so, were you able to fix it? Thank you.
In 500,000 miles I have never heard a 'popping' sound. The only issue I've had with the roof rack is when I get ice build up on the crossbars. At freeway speeds the resonance makes it sound like the rear end is going to come apart. That is totally a lack of sound deadening insulation issue. Your issue sounds more like maybe one of the crossmember roof supports. Strange.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts