Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a fairing to their roof rack yet? I'd like to get one but cannot determine what size to get.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think it would depend on what crossbars you run and what you actually will put up there.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have a sunroof, you may be out of luck. I've got a yakima setup with 48" round bars. I have the 38" fairing. The width is just about perfect, however, it sits pretty much right on top of the sunroof. It looks like it *might* fit if I slam the front bar as far up as possible, but I still think it's a slim chance. I'll give that a try one of these days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jotica said:
I saw this photos on another forum... is a Inno rack and he has the faring sitting on the sunroof... not sure if he can still open it and operate it.... take a look:

http://s816.photobucket.com/user/ignudoj/media/IMG_20131230_123015788_zps37af31b0.jpg.html

I just know that from experience a fairing is a MUST with a roof rack.

Anyone else out there with a fairing on a sunroof that care to comment?

Jota.

I tired. The problem was the fairing would sit on the sunroof no matter where I set the bars, making it impossible to open the sunroof. They are 48" Yakima round bars and I used the 38" fairing. The fairing width was perfect. I ended up returning the fairing and just live with the wind noise. It's not really that big of a deal at this point.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does the fairing really help with the wind noise? I just put a Yakima rack on my Crosstrek and the noise is really bad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
it certainly helps with wind noise. i have Inno crossbars with inno fairing. I got the medium length but should have gotten the smaller one because i had to trim a lil off so i could put it back far enough to open the sunroof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it certainly helps with wind noise. i have Inno crossbars with inno fairing. I got the medium length but should have gotten the smaller one because i had to trim a lil off so i could put it back far enough to open the sunroof.
So just to clarify, the small INNO fairing will work with the sunroof? I have the OEM bars if that makes a difference. Do you remember if you needed the long bolt kit or anything like that? I've been reading about this for a while now and seen a few people say that.

Need to purchase a fairing that works with the sunroof asap - thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been wondering about this as well. I have the Yakima Megawarrior installed without the extension. With the stock fairing on the basket, there is a small increase in wind noise. It is easily forgotten once the music is playing. Only issue with the basket is it kills my fuel economy from my 30MPG average per tank to about 24MPG average. When I had removed the stock fairing, then the fuel consumption lessened from the 24MPG to 26MPG a tank. Wind noise however, was unbearable. Sounded like we were on a jet flying.

Was anyone added a roof rack wind fairing to work in tandem with the basket's stock fairing? Was there any noticeable change in fuel economy? I too would like to know what your opinions are.

(Sorry @PAcrossTrek1 if you feel I am hijacking your thread, I too am looking for a roof rack wind fairing. Hopefully my question will benefit you in case you get a cargo basket as well.)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts