Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good car harness and/or a backseat extender?

I just ordered the Kurgo Tru-Fit harnesses and the Backseat Bridge. I hope they fit ok. I believe the Tru-Fit is one of the few crash-tested harnesses.

Orvis has foam backseat extenders that looks really sturdy but I'm pretty sure they would be too wide they way the center console sticks out toward the back.

The Kurgo Backseat Bridge looks promising because you can use the space underneath it for storage (unlike the Orvis product)

Any other ideas are appreciated...

·
Registered
104 Posts
We have two setups for my Boxer (she weighs 65 lbs).

I don't think we have the Kurgo harness,but we have something comparable. We also have the Kurgo Wander Back Seat Cover. It's basically a hammock that attaches to the front and rear head rests. Allows you to put things on the floor behind the front seats. No issues as far as supporting the dog's weight. We just drove 2200 miles in my Outback with her on this, worked great.

We also tested putting her in the back of the XV (planning ahead for when we have a baby in the back seat). I got a Black Diamond Positron Screwgate Carabiner ($8) rated to 25-kN which attaches to the anchors in the cargo area. Her harness clips into the carabiner. I'm not sure what those anchors are rated to, but I feel comfortable that she'll be ok.

In both we have a cushioned mat for her to lay on, also helps keep her from sliding around.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I love this Bambo Leash.

I have the 3' length ( they also come in 6' ) The latch connects to any seatbelt. Now in my Jeep I have a safety harness that has a connection point in the middle and straps across the tub, just behind the front seat and she gets tethered there in the middle ( no back seat in my Jeep of course) She has plenty of room ( 90 lb Yellow Lab ).

I highly doubt my Brandy will be riding in the XV.....if she does, we have a back seat dog cover... she is almost human.. I SWEAR!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just found in the owner's manual that the anchors in the cargo area are rated for 22 lbs. I thought about not putting our pup back there, but then if the car is hit from any side, front, or back she'll be well contained by the back seat. Now if the car rolls, that's an entirely different story and we'll have other issues to worry about. So in the end, I think we'll split her time between the backseat and cargo area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies contrail_25 and Xtrekr,

I've never seen that bamboo leash before, very interesting.

Today our harnesses and the backseat bridge arrived (plus door covers) and all fits great.

The backseat bridge is rigid compared to the hammocks. One of my dogs is a bit nervous in the car, so the more stable the better. It doesn't look that sturdy in the photos, but I tested it out with both dogs' weight and it seems just fine.

Both are 60 lbs - chocolate lab and flat-coated retriever. I may try a Bergan tether that connects to the seat buckle loop rather than have the seat belt threaded the harness loop or use the loop attachment that the seat belt goes through.

My girls are now 8 and 10 yrs old now. I used to let the ride in the back of my Xterra with a metal barrier but with the Crosstrek it is easier for them to get in (height-wise) and I committed to harmesses for safety.

·
Registered
101 Posts
contrail_25 said:
Glad to hear it's working out! Here's a picture of our first outing with the car...and the pup!
I love this picture of your Boxer! I tried to get my guy in the hatchback space, but he seemed a little too cramped! That's what I get for having a boxer with ridiculously long legs...going to try it with the back seats down to see if that helps...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.