Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I definitely recommend installing these yourself (or get a friend to do it). It's fast and easy, and saves the labor. Also order them online - cheaper than through a dealer.

Anyway... I completely failed to take a picture of the location where you drill... The instructions say to look for a small untextured area. That "small" is an understatement... it's a small circle just below and behind (respective to the car) the mounting spot for the cargo cover. The spot you're looking for is a dimple a bit less than 1mm in diameter.

Next up, drill a 1/4" hole on that spot. This one is the passenger side. Here you can tell where your dimple should be. (Ignore that scratch on the plastic to the right... made that happen within the first week of owning the XV. Awesome, right?)

The 1/4" hole is mainly to get your hole started and lessen the chances of slipping away from the dimple [and ruining the interior of your brand new xv!] because now we're going to make the hole bigger with a 1/2" drill bit. (This picture is the driver's side. Again, hole is below and behind that square spot.) Now you're through the worst of it.

Now place the plastic ring on the 'mushroom mount', put it in the 1/2" hole (it's a tight fit! I had to finagle it a little bit...) and then screw it clockwise to cause the thing to expand to hold it in place. The OCD-type that I am, it had to have the notch centered up top...

Nothing left to do but put the nets on.

Seatback net with seats up. (I've found I prefer to leave my seats down though... so this one won't likely be mounted often).

Note: the rear seatback and side cargo nets use the same mushroom mount, so if you order both sets you'll receive four mushroom mounts. You only need to install two of them.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Nice write up! I was fortunate enough to have them already.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ive been thinking about getting these as well. Had no idea you needed to install two of the mounts. Not a big deal I guess, but I was unaware.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AlexAlejan said:
Ive been thinking about getting these as well. Had no idea you needed to install two of the mounts. Not a big deal I guess, but I was unaware.
I hadn't realized it until just before I ordered them. That's the main reason I posted this - I wasn't sure how the nets would mount until I actually had the instructions in my hand.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well thanks for that. I'll probably be installing my own in the next few weeks.

btw- I stole your fuelly signature link and stole the idea :p

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AlexAlejan said:
Well thanks for that. I'll probably be installing my own in the next few weeks.

btw- I stole your fuelly signature link and stole the idea :p
no problem. Drilling that first hole is a bit unnerving...

and I'm glad you did! I want to see more XVs there and that's a great way to make it more visible!

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is great thanks so much for posting. I put my rear net in today, then started looking for the side net tethers...of course 2 hours later it dawned on me that I was supposed to install them..

RR

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RalphRotten said:
This is great thanks so much for posting. I put my rear net in today, then started looking for the side net tethers...of course 2 hours later it dawned on me that I was supposed to install them..

RR
haha happy to help!

I would love for you to come back and post your thoughts on the rear net, if you think about it/feel like it. I haven't taken the bait on that one yet. I feel like, for my needs, I would find it more in the way than a benefit, but there are times I feel like it would be handy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the rear net in our Forester, so I know how handy it can be. You are correct, tho, that the experience may be different in the Crosstrek.

RR

·
Registered
130 Posts
chasem said:
RalphRotten said:

RR
haha happy to help!

I would love for you to come back and post your thoughts on the rear net, if you think about it/feel like it. I haven't taken the bait on that one yet. I feel like, for my needs, I would find it more in the way than a benefit, but there are times I feel like it would be handy.
Ok re: the rear net- I have had it for a few weeks, and I find it really handy when I'm running errands to Lowes or the grocery store....other times, I simply remove the net from one side and store it neatly in the opposite corner... that way I have the best of both worlds and it is never truly in the way..

RR

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fgials said:
Does the side net get in the way of the light shine for back?
If you look at the last picture of jdunn's most recent post, you can see the light just above the cargo net. Might block a little, but not much

1 - 14 of 14 Posts