Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid this weekend. Would love to get it off the pavement but would like to start off on some easy forest roads with some pay-off at the end (e.g. scenic overlook, waterfalls, anything cool). Any recommendations for a location within 100 miles or so of the Seattle area?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Can't help you with off-roading places near where you live but I'll be paying attention to those that respond as I may want to try them later this year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Carbon River

Just purchased a 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid this weekend. Would love to get it off the pavement but would like to start off on some easy forest roads with some pay-off at the end (e.g. scenic overlook, waterfalls, anything cool). Any recommendations for a location within 100 miles or so of the Seattle area?
Finding places has been my struggle. However, I ventured out to Carbon River Road near the Mt. Rainier / Mt Baker National Forest division line. I went about 2 miles past the Carbon River Ranger Station and turned left over a bridge on NF-7810. Its a gravel road (ugghh) that takes you up to some lakes. Here's what someone posted on the WTA website about this place.

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2013-07-01.7183932250

By the way, I could definitely use a Crosstrek buddy to go exploring with. I have checked out a few of the Forest Service roads off I-90, and they seem nice... but are all gravel. I'm still looking for dirt roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I appreciate the tips. My apologies for the delayed response as I didn't get an email notification letting me know someone replied. I will post here when I'm ready to do some exploring so to pull in anyone else interested in joining. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi all, I just found out I'll be moving to Seattle in October. I'd love to set up a meet and drive/camping trip sometime. I'm really looking forward to getting out west amd exploring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Want to hit some trails this weekend if work doesn't call me in? any takers? I have a current map that shows FS roads on hand a my GPS actually shows the roads. I am not heavily equipped for anything to crazy but want to get out into Gods country.

·
Registered
27 Posts
WA and OR have all kinds of options. National Forest people are your best friends - get to know them. They usually really know their forest. BLM people less so. I always get the N Forest "Motor Vehicle Use Maps" if the district has them (some don't). They're free and are intended to keep people off of the roads that the NF is trying to return back to nature. Some of these roads are really primitive. Some I have done in my Crosstrek, some require my Jeep. I've discovered roads/areas where you won't see anyone for miles, so be careful. Also review the following site - Backcountry Discovery Routes. WA's site is managed by a motorcycle group, but I'll be doing it this summer first in the Jeep.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Want to hit some trails this weekend if work doesn't call me in? any takers? I have a current map that shows FS roads on hand a my GPS actually shows the roads. I am not heavily equipped for anything to crazy but want to get out into Gods country.
We're pretty much gonna have to wait a bit for trails with any kind of elevation. I took my Jeep up to Snoqualmie a couple of weeks ago. EVERY forest road along the way up I-90 was blocked off with a huge pile of snow to keep vehicles out.

The snow pack was like shaved ice, I could barely get through a foot of it. My Jeep has 33s and lockers. . . Our Crosstreks aren't gonna have a lot of fun up there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts