Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I say kind of a newbie because I had a Saabaru a few years back (Saab with the Subaru engine).

Picked up my Crosstrek Monday night. Still learning the vehicle but enjoying it so far. 8)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! Did you get the CVT? That took me a bit to get used to, but now I love driving it. Welcome to the boards and the club, I'm looking forward to seeing pics!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Lakethoreaubreezes said:
Hi!

I say kind of a newbie because I had a Saabaru a few years back (Saab with the Subaru engine).

Picked up my Crosstrek Monday night. Still learning the vehicle but enjoying it so far. 8)
The Saabaru you speak of (Saab 9-2X) was really just a badge-engineered second-generation Subaru Impreza. I assure you, only thing Saab about it were the badges and the facelift.

And welcome, hope you're enjoying your XV!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Welcome to the Club and congrats.... the more you drive the XV... the more you will love it!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! Yes, I got the CVT though honestly would've loved the manual in tangerine. Having spent the last five years driving trucks and suvs, getting used to the height difference but am enjoying the ride.

Having a time learning the voice recognition commands though - is it me or is shouting actually necessary?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Lakethoreaubreezes said:
Thanks all! Yes, I got the CVT though honestly would've loved the manual in tangerine. Having spent the last five years driving trucks and suvs, getting used to the height difference but am enjoying the ride.

Having a time learning the voice recognition commands though - is it me or is shouting actually necessary?
Hello and Welcome! My XV doesn't recognize a darn thing I say, mostly. My last car (ctsv) had a voice recognition program you completed so it would learn your particular pronunciation. I haven't looked to see if XV has or not - might be worth checking into.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RubySu said:
Hello and Welcome! My XV doesn't recognize a darn thing I say, mostly. My last car (ctsv) had a voice recognition program you completed so it would learn your particular pronunciation. I haven't looked to see if XV has or not - might be worth checking into.
Thanks, RubySu
What I've figured out so far is it requires very specific word commands, i.e., to place a call the first command is "Handsfree"; to set up the navigation the command is "navigation". So far it hasn't taken my normal spoken commands like Siri does on the iPhone.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I havent messed with it much myself. The dealer couldnt get it to work well and was pretty embarrassed about it. I've never used voice command for anything so I haven't been very concerned with figuring out the crosstrek's

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AWDfreak said:
The Saabaru you speak of (Saab 9-2X) was really just a badge-engineered second-generation Subaru Impreza. I assure you, only thing Saab about it were the badges and the facelift.

And welcome, hope you're enjoying your XV!
Of course, there was the cost of Saab maintenance vs. Subaru ::)
Now shopping for a hitch and bike rack!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AlexAlejan said:
I havent messed with it much myself. The dealer couldnt get it to work well and was pretty embarrassed about it. I've never used voice command for anything so I haven't been very concerned with figuring out the crosstrek's
Same thing - the rep couldn't figure it out nor the navigation. It was comical: he went inside and grabbed another salesman who couldn't figure it out either.

I use my bluetooth a lot because oftentimes the only time I get to make some calls so it's nice to not have to use the bluetooth all the time now.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to the club, Lake. The voice recognition system is...not great...and I rarely use it. Supposedly turning down the mic volume helps a lot with it understanding you, but I haven't gotten then chance to try it in mine yet. The bluetooth calling (i.e. reception and clarity on both sides of a handsfree call) seem to be fine for me, though. I just use my phone to dial and then talk handsfree.

Anyway, we would love to see pics of your Trek if you have them. Thank you for signing up!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Lakethoreaubreezes said:
RubySu said:
Thanks, RubySu
What I've figured out so far is it requires very specific word commands, i.e., to place a call the first command is "Handsfree"; to set up the navigation the command is "navigation". So far it hasn't taken my normal spoken commands like Siri does on the iPhone.

Another tip for ya.... after you say HANDSFREE.... go to the head unit and reduce your MIC VOLUME to about 1/4 to 1/3.... 90% improvement on recognition. Also... you can turn 'her' loudness down as well.

One more.... since you figured out the specific commands... each phone you pair up can have up to 10 speed dials.... Set the speed dials up in the head unit and its a breeze!

HANDS FREE
CALL SPEED DIAL 1

·
Registered
820 Posts
Xtrekr said:
Lakethoreaubreezes said:
RubySu said:
Thanks, RubySu

Another tip for ya.... after you say HANDSFREE.... go to the head unit and reduce your MIC VOLUME to about 1/4 to 1/3.... 90% improvement on recognition. Also... you can turn 'her' loudness down as well.

One more.... since you figured out the specific commands... each phone you pair up can have up to 10 speed dials.... Set the speed dials up in the head unit and its a breeze!

HANDS FREE
CALL SPEED DIAL 1
Ok cool. I'll give that a try with the mic volume. What I've been doing in the interim is using phone to dial contact and then the rest is hands free. Not exactly how system was designed to be used but still safer than driving with one hand on the wheel and the other with phone to ear. I mostly prefer complete silence while driving and I will answer hands free from steering wheel if someone calls which is absolutely wonderful. I am very enthused by Bluetooth technology. The only time I have radio on is when I'm on a longer trip. Then it's NPR or ESPN almost exclusively.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Xtrekr said:

HANDS FREE
CALL SPEED DIAL 1
Great info - will try it tomorrow - thanks! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts