Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have the regular, non-hybrid crosstrek, but i find that the gas-saving ecu programming, plus all the electronic gadgets, are hard on the battery. after 3 years, and in (canadian) winter, my battery died.

first tip: lithium jump starters are magic! they don’t self-discharge, and they’re small enough to fit under a car seat. they’re also cheap insurance against shorting out your own battery trying to help someone else. i got mine on sale, and i love it.

second tip: since batteries lose lots of their capacity in winter, you’ll probably need to service/replace your battery in winter, the least pleasant time of the year. i swapped mine out in an underground parking garage at the mall. the lowest level was warmest (hot enough that i had to take off my coat), and also almost empty.

third tip: don’t drop the hold-down bracket unless you brought a magnet!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got a glass mat technology one from crappie tire when it became time to replace the 2006.
After market batteries can be much better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the regular, non-hybrid crosstrek, but i find that the gas-saving ecu programming, plus all the electronic gadgets, are hard on the battery. after 3 years, and in (canadian) winter, my battery died.

first tip: lithium jump starters are magic! they don’t self-discharge, and they’re small enough to fit under a car seat. they’re also cheap insurance against shorting out your own battery trying to help someone else. i got mine on sale, and i love it.

second tip: since batteries lose lots of their capacity in winter, you’ll probably need to service/replace your battery in winter, the least pleasant time of the year. i swapped mine out in an underground parking garage at the mall. the lowest level was warmest (hot enough that i had to take off my coat), and also almost empty.

third tip: don’t drop the hold-down bracket unless you brought a magnet!
I bet that would have been creepy to do in a empty garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts