Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good Blind-Spot mirror for the Side Mirrors? I don't want to name any parts stores, but the last set I purchased left me less than satisfied.

Ideally looking for something that would fit down in the left hand corner, that has a nice crystal clear image - not one that makes everything look like it's underwater....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Instead of using blind spot mirrors, I set my side mirrors out much further to cover my blind spots. It takes a bit of fine tuning though to get it just right.

With a quick search, I found this website http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rear%E2%80%90View-Mirrors-to-Eliminate-Blind-Spots which is how I been setting up my mirrors for the last 8 or so years. It takes some getting used to. But one huge advantage is at night, when there is a car behind you. You don't get blinded by the reflection. And if they're in your blind spot, you will see there headlights in the side mirrors.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I too was able to set mine up to where I have basically no blind spot unless some insanely tiny thing is over there. I don't have a good recommendation for you since I haven't purchased any recently. I had some good ones on my truck but can't recall the brand. They were about 2 inches across and could be rotated once they were stuck on to fine tune the aim.

·
Registered
89 Posts
By far the Crosstrek has the best side mirrors of all the cars I've owned. You will notice that the mirrors are set on the doors, not on the windows as most cars do. That eliminates blind spots in front of you as well. Set your mirrors far out that you almost don't see the rear of your car anymore, that should eliminate most of your blind spots.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with the 'angle far out' approach too.
A friend of mine, who had the luxury of being able to go to BMW 'M' driving school, had told me that the first thing they teach you is to 'properly' set your mirrors.
1. Lean over so that your face is close to the window and then set your left mirror so that it 'just' catches the side of your car.
2. Lean over a similar amount in the other direction and do the same for the right mirror.

In case you need to see the curb versus your car, you can always lean over to get the better angle (usually you are going slow at this point anyway).

It took me a while to adjust (since I had been doing it wrong for so long) ... but I can definitely see the advantage now.

Cheers!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried the SAE Side Mirror Adjustment scheme, but having the blind-spot mirror along with the mirrors angled back works better for me. I like having all the views available. I will admit this is probably a throwback to my Isuzu Amigo and pop-top 4Runner before that, but it's nice to be able to take full advantage of these big mirrors.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thanks for the wikihow link! I'm kinda close to this set up, but it looks like I need to fine tune it a bit more! My passenger mirror is usually angled down a bit so I can see better for street parking.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm amazed the XV doesn't come with anti-blindspot side mirrors. My lasty three cars all had these as standard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is what I put on every car I get. Works for me. It is cheap and can be found just about anywhere they sell automotive products, Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, Walgreens...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts