Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2014 crosstrek and want to install side window covers front and back. I did some searching and it seems that there are a number of options. I plan on having the car for a long time so price is not my main concern. What are your recommendations as to brand and mounting styles?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed the OEM window deflectors on my 2016 and I'm quite happy with them, how they look, and ease of install. I found a genuine set for under $90 so the price was right, too.

I didn't love the look of the WeatherTech ones

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just installed the OEM shades on my 2019. They fit perfectly if you DON"T use the guide clips and let the top edge of the shade be almost flush with the door top edge. The ends will also be flush and the whole appearance will be unified and not look like an "add-on accessory".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed the OEM shades on my 2019. They fit perfectly if you DON"T use the guide clips and let the top edge of the shade be almost flush with the door top edge. The ends will also be flush and the whole appearance will be unified and not look like an "add-on accessory".
You mind posting a photo?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You mind posting a photo?
Can't get a good pic because not enough contrast betweent black door trim and black deflector. It looks like the deflector is part of the trim, as I stated. Try to test mount it yourself without the clips (spacers) which are hard to remove after they are attached to the deflector. Using the spacers just lowers the mounting by about 1/2" from not using them. They are large enough that this amount won't affect the performance of the defectors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What I also have is OEM. I asked the dealer to install it after buying it and no sign of any problem until now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I installed them myself on my and my husband's 2019 LTDs. What I like about the OEM are the clips. The clips, maybe in my mind anyway, give me an extra sense of mounting security than just the 3M tape. They can be a bit of a PIA, but if you just take your time they are pretty easy to do yourself. (The dealership wanted to charge me 90.00 per car!)
Later, Keith

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed them myself on my and my husband's 2019 LTDs. What I like about the OEM are the clips. The clips, maybe in my mind anyway, give me an extra sense of mounting security than just the 3M tape. They can be a bit of a PIA, but if you just take your time they are pretty easy to do yourself. (The dealership wanted to charge me 90.00 per car!)
Later, Keith
As far as I can tell, the clips just hold the deflector in place while you pull off the tape covers and don't seem to provide much in the way of attachment strength compared to the tape. The clips are useful if you are doing it by yourself but, as you say, they are a PIA to deal with in the first place. I say try to mount the deflector without them. If you can hold it steady, and if you already removed the end tape covers to help hold it in place......

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought the OEM side window deflectors and thought I would install them myself to save the $136 installation fee. I also have a 2019. There were no directions in the box and I do not understand where the clips are supposed to go. If they are on the deflector I don't see how you can get the deflector flush with the door so that it will stick. I like the idea of not using them, but what are they for? Will they hold the deflector on the door better? I watched a utube video but could not see how the clips go on. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The best I can tell the clips are to keep the deflector from being mounted crooked. But if you hold it nearly flush with the top edge, they won't be crooked. If your not sure, have a helper hold one end steady while you hold the other end and pull off half the tape. Then change sides to pull off the other half. Practice before you remove all the tape.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts