Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just discovered a screw in the sidewall of my right rear tire. It was patched but the guy said couldn't guarantee performance because it was the sidewall of the tire. Only 9K miles. Should I replace it with new and take the chance on the repair. Driving cross-country soon (P.S. Getting the text message from Subaru StarLink warning me of low tire pressure was cool too...:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Only 9K miles. Should I replace it with new and take the chance on the repair.
You did not give any info on they brand tires on the car (assume they are the stock tires, since it is 2019), nor your driving style. However, you really should measure the tires to determine whether you can just replace one or replace all 4. I would be comfortable with only replacing one with 2000-4000 miles on it .... 9000 miles could be too much depending on how you drive and whether or not you've rotated the tires during those 9000 miles. My wife is horrible on tires and would never consider replacing only one on her car, knowing how she drives. You could always get a new one shaved to match the circumference of the others ... assuming you know of a good tire dealer. However, don't go to the same place where the tire tech though it would be OK to patch a sidewall!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bit the bullet and just replaced the one tire. I did examine the tread between the old versus the new and couldn't see any real difference. If I lose another tire to a road hazard I'll match them then

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is an older post, but the others are correct. Once the sidewall is damaged, the tire is done. Period. There should have been no discussion from the tire place. Whoever patched that for you should be run out of the business.

Not sure about all dealers, but mine will shave a tire down to match the others. Some hot rod shops do tire shaving as well. On AWD vehicles, having tires the same tread depth is key.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. I only was questioning because it was "close" to the margin of the sidewall. The place that patched it did tell me I may to need to have it replaced (but they didn't sell tires). Measured the tread wear on the replacement and other three tires - no significance difference. Just under 10K miles

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think its not legal here, just not recommended because of the increased probability of catastrophic tire failure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts