Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only at ~900 miles still, so my "high" RPMs is 4k ... but I seem to hear a strange (slight) on/off vibration pattern.
I have the CVT and it seems to happen regardless of whether I leave it in 'Drive' or manually fixed on a particular 'gear'.
Has anyone else heard/felt this with their's or heard of it in general?
Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
on0se said:
I'm only at ~900 miles still, so my "high" RPMs is 4k ... but I seem to hear a strange (slight) on/off vibration pattern.
I have the CVT and it seems to happen regardless of whether I leave it in 'Drive' or manually fixed on a particular 'gear'.
Has anyone else heard/felt this with their's or heard of it in general?
Thanks!
if it has sort of a low pitch, almost a 'droning' yes, i have the same thing. I've been ignoring it, for now... plenty of miles left on the powertrain warranty if it's abnormal. I would like to know if it is a problem though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, it is very faint or low pitch, yet for some reason that's all I hear now -- like those annoying 'background' noises in certain songs!

I can't seem to replicate it in a 'quieter' environment because it doesn't seem to happen in Neutral (also, I can't go past 4k RPMs in neutral either - kinda funny).

Perhaps it has something to do with keeping the engine cool?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
By on/off vibration do you mean it's fluctuating? The engine/CVT definitely has a 'drone' sound at higher RPMs but I wouldn't say it really fluctuates (unless the RPMs themselves are fluctuating). If it's a constant drone at those RPMs I would say it's normal. If it sounds like it fluctuates a lot even when RPMs are held steady then maybe I would ask your dealer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it fluctuates in a very consistent pattern ... heavy then soft then heavy, etc.. (hence the 'sinusoidal' part). It seems to get more obvious (louder?) as I go up in RPMs.
At first I assumed it was simply how the CVT was 'shifting', but then I noticed it would still happen when it was 'stuck' in a single 'gear' using manual mode.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Very interesting. I had my Crosstrek at high RPMs for quite some time on Friday making the mountain climb up to our campground and it definitely did not do this. I would take it in or at least call your dealer and talk to thema bout it.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
zatch said:
Any more info on this problem? I have the same thing on a 2014, CVT. Annoying WaWaWaWa starting at 4K rpm.
It's been almost a year since this original post but I'll help bump it up for zatch and also say that I still haven't had this droning sound issue with my 2013 XV with CVT.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Curious how old the OP and Zatch are. I know that certain frequencies are very annoying to yutes. As you get older you can't hear those frequencies. Malls play certain "music" that irritates kids and drives them out of the malls.

Just saying cuz maybe old farts can't hear the Sinusoidal Vibrations.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've ruled this as normal. I put 15,000 miles on my Crosstrek without it changing. Also my moms 2012 Impreza makes an identical sound. I'm 30yo.

Just ignore it. AWD = lots of moving bits.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just returned from a 2200 mile trip in the XV and I must say I experienced the OP's "noise" at High rpm under load like going up an incline at 70-75 mph. I must admit It was very annoying. When I backed the speed off to 55-60 mph I did not experience the sound. Also if you use the paddles and upshift and go to "6" it goes away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts