Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
In fresh powder? No. Now the other day, it got warm. And I came around a corner that had a lot of old ice that had gotten water melted on top. I had to reach for the e brake. I NEVER do that, at least not when driving seriously. No matter what you drive, water on top of ice will take out anything, even a tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In fresh powder? No. Now the other day, it got warm. And I came around a corner that had a lot of old ice that had gotten water melted on top. I had to reach for the e brake. I NEVER do that, at least not when driving seriously. No matter what you drive, water on top of ice will take out anything, even a tank.
Ive found I need to paddle shift down because if I just jump on the brakes she slides all over the place.

·
Registered
297 Posts
But compression braking locks the front tires too, it's not like a rwd car. They only advantage I can think of is that transfers weight forward to gain rotation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I keep my distance from other vehicles, especially on a downgrade. Since my XV is a 5 speed manual, I downshift then gently apply the brakes and let the engine brake do most of the work. The slow deceleration helps maintain traction. So far, no issues.

Tires and Traction Control Systems are also a big factor on the performance in snow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts