Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was bored and decided to drive up to the area around the Cajon Pass. I wanted to explore some of the small canyons that come down from the mountains and into the areas above Rancho Cucamonga, etc. I wound up heading to Lytle Creek. I haven't been up there for a long time. Once I got up in the canyon, I realized how nice it was. And even though we are in a drought, it was actually pretty green and there were wildflowers growing, etc. The creek still has running water too. I decided to take a side trip up the West Fork Lytle Creek road. It is paved for a short while and then it turns into a pretty easily passable dirt road. I went back about 3 miles. There were a few sections where the road was off camber and rutted from runoff, but the Subie made it without any problem. Again, this was a simple, 3 hour up and back exploratory tour, not a day long trail run. It was just something to do on a Sunday afternoon. So if you are looking for a place to go get the tires dirty, there is some exploring available in that canyon. There is another trail that runs the ridge between Lytle Creek and Swarthout Canyon and winds up dumping you out on Lone Pine Road near Wrightwood. That's for next time.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Damn, you guys down in SoCal got more closeby dirt roads than we do up in the SF Bay Area! Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
That's awesome. When traffic is bad, I'll take one of the many dirt roads heading down the Cajon pass, and giggle as I pass all the stopped cars sitting in that parking lot of a construction zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts