Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else feel like the Crosstrek's brakes are a little soft? They stop the vehicle just fine, but it seems like there's a lot of travel in the pedal and it has to get pretty close to the floor before the brakes really engage. This is in comparison to my wife's new Honda CR-V whose brakes are a little grabby and will pitch you into the windshield if you're not careful.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I was driving a 2013 Outback for a few days and I felt like the brakes were just fine, however, I am coming from. 2003 OBS so a lot of things are better. That said, I have driven other cars (like my aunts 350z) where the brakes were, IMO, extraordinary.

Will report on Crosstrek brakes later today.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'm reporting back now since I own a Crosstrek. I feel that the brakes are fine and stop WAY better than my previous car, but I do feel that they might be softer than a lot of newer car's brakes that I've driven. That said, after one day of ownership I am already used to them and I don't even think about it anymore.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They are a tad soft for a new car and it was something that stood out right away for me. However, braking performance seems to be quite good so overall I'm happy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After 3000 miles, I don't even notice it anymore. The only time it occurs to me now is after driving my wife's Honda CRV, which has really touchy brakes.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
Moonray13 said:
After 3000 miles, I don't even notice it anymore. The only time it occurs to me now is after driving my wife's Honda CRV, which has really touchy brakes.
Yeah, I am at almost 5k miles now and don't notice the brakes. They are definitely good brakes, just not as touchy as some other cars I've driven.
I think the fronts are actually WRX brakes ;D

·
Registered
714 Posts
They're bigger than the Impreza brakes so I'd venture to say that you're probably right. It would be very abnormal for Subaru to make a brake when they have one laying around that works just fine!

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Subir_roo said:
They're bigger than the Impreza brakes so I'd venture to say that you're probably right. It would be very abnormal for Subaru to make a brake when they have one laying around that works just fine!
I have decent proof they are indeed.

Copied and pasted from one of my Subaru brake rotor diameter posts from other Subaru forums

Legend:
V indicates ventilated
2P indicates two-piston single-side
FL indicates floating caliper
Numbers listed are diameter of rotor in inches

Outback/Legacy 2.5i (BM/BR)
F 11.6 V 2P FL
R 11.3 FL

Impreza WRX (3rd gen GE/GH/GR/GV)
F 11.6 V 2P FL
R 11.3 FL

XV Crosstrek (GP) and Forester 2.5i (SJ)
F 11.6 V 2P FL
R 10.8 FL

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hmmm, I'll have to check out the OEM parts system at work on Monday. Assuming they are that means we have some very good brake pad options out there!

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Subir_roo said:
Hmmm, I'll have to check out the OEM parts system at work on Monday. Assuming they are that means we have some very good brake pad options out there!
I sure hope so. If it turns out to all be the same caliper and same shape of pad, some Hawk Performance pads could very well be a great option for those who really push their brakes to the limit ;D

·
Registered
714 Posts
The Hawk HPS is an amazing street pad for aggressive every day driving. I'm always surprised to see how many people run pads that are WAY overkill for what they drive. HP+ pads on the street? Even full blown track pads? Talk about worthless. Most people don't drive hard enough to actually heat up those pads anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Subir_roo said:
The Hawk HPS is an amazing street pad for aggressive every day driving. I'm always surprised to see how many people run pads that are WAY overkill for what they drive. HP+ pads on the street? Even full blown track pads? Talk about worthless. Most people don't drive hard enough to actually heat up those pads anyway.
HP+ is a bit much, but full-on track pads on the street is downright dangerous.

I'm the kind of person that enjoys pushing their car to the limit in the twisty, unforgiving roads of the mountains. I haven't pushed a car hard enough to make my brake fluid go crazy but it did get hot enough for some passengers to be able to smell a bit of brake pad.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I get calls every day at work from people who want ridiculous pads for their street car. Have to talk them out of it. We've had a lot of luck with the HPS and the Racing Brake ET500 pads on the street. They're very solid performers without being iffy when they're cold. Sometimes we can't talk people out of it and they call back complaining about performance on the high end pads (which they almost never break in properly) when used on the street. These people never get the brakes even close to warm so of course they're terrible. But, it's "cool" to have drilled and slotted rotors and your GT brake kit on your daily driver.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Subir_roo said:
I get calls every day at work from people who want ridiculous pads for their street car. Have to talk them out of it. We've had a lot of luck with the HPS and the Racing Brake ET500 pads on the street. They're very solid performers without being iffy when they're cold. Sometimes we can't talk people out of it and they call back complaining about performance on the high end pads (which they almost never break in properly) when used on the street. These people never get the brakes even close to warm so of course they're terrible. But, it's "cool" to have drilled and slotted rotors and your GT brake kit on your daily driver.
Glad to know there are people like you who CAN convince them what's right! Every time I KNOW someone is wrong and I show proper evidence I'm right, they still think I'm wrong and then they make me look like the idiot when it's the other way around :mad:

Like this one guy who thought the Honda K20 engine comes standard in a Ridgeline... and this other guy who thought the Honda S2000 is FWD... bull****

As for drilled rotors... *sigh* not very beneficial, there's a reason why rally teams usually only run slotted rotors. It seems a lot of aftermarket drilled rotors are just for cosmetics. Even the Brembo kits say not to use certain drilled rotors under demanding conditions.

I'm an overkill guy myself, but I at least buy knowing I'm going to beat the crap outta the new heavy-duty products :D

And I know that bedding in pads = not activating ABS. Sadly, not many places to go for bedding in pads (especially if law enforcement is watching), best place I know for bedding in pads is a nearly-vacant straight-line portion of a mountain pass. Extremely low-traffic and high visibility so it's quite optimal.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's very true. It can be a PITA to find a good spot to get it done right. We have access to a rather HUGE parking lot at IBM that works pretty well ans long as no one's at work!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yep, brakes are mushy. Noticed it on the test drive but already used to it after buying the car.

Not as bad as Toyota Tacoma....those things will sink to the floor if you keep your foot on it.

Seems this is a new style of mastercylinder of late. Must be something to do with making them 'comfortable' to drive. Meh, I like the old way.

One thing I'm happy about is not having to wipe down the wheels every day from brake dust. OMG I got sick of dirty wheels. BMW and Mercedes are the worst for this, and we had one of each for a long time. ::)

·
Registered
164 Posts
The brakes are probably my least favourite bit of the car. The brakes were the one area where the Colt absolutely excelled and I need to get used to the apparent lack of stopping power. Even if the car does stop quite well.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts