Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else get a jangly plastic on plastic rattle coming from the back when driving on even the slighest bumpy roads?

In my old outback sport it was the rear shade bar. But the one on my XV is super snug.

Just thought I would ask.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd pop that cargo cover out and give her a spin just to be sure. Even if the ends are tight I just shook mine (it's sitting in my garage) and there's certainly a bit of rattle in that thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I have tracked my rattle to somewhere in the Sun roof cover or where is slides into. My is getting worse and I hope to check into it this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to take Subir_roo's suggestion and remove the cargo cover. If not the issue, I guess I hop in the back while my wife drives around.

Will update.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One other source that you could check is the rear plastic trim on the deck lid. My 2010 Outback sport had a nasty fit and finish on the interior trim pieces and I ended up removing the trim and lining it with some weather strip foam. Open the lid on your xv, and tap on the plastic portion covering the rear brake light. The plastic doesn't seem to have any buffer between it and the housing of the brake light. Could be causing your issues, particularly if the car is sitting in the sun and has time to get hot and flexible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If it is metallic or styrofoam squeak check the spare tire area. The jack and tools maybe touching and there is a styrofoam spacer on top of the spare tire that can rub.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd check the back corners on the cargo tray in the rear. I found that my cargo tray was lifted a little on the right side where the tray is recessed. It was raised up and I think it was rubbing on the interior side trim. I simply pushed it down into place and that solved the problem. But, I noticed that I need to shove it back down every time I lift the cargo tray. It may lay down flatter after time goes on. Seems like maybe it might have been molded like that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had a noise in the back like a click click or tappy tap. It was the rear cargo cover in the retracted state. Fully extended the cover and the rattle is gone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I get squeaks when the suspension is under load...meaning when it's flexing, like when I back out of my driveway! Annoyed

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Answer is HERE

I have this same thing, just started yesterday. Constant squeaking over uneven roads, and normal ones too. Coming from the rear hatch. SUPER annoying. Sounds like squeaky Styrofoam.
Same happened to me. After taking pieces off, driving, taking more pieces off, driving it, etc. I isolated the annoying sound to be coming from the rear hatch latch. After a generous application of heavy grease within the latch mechanism, worked it in a little, and VIOLA! SQUEAK IS GONE.

At least worth a try....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.