Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2020.
Has anyone put a full size spare in the place of the donut spare? If so any pics?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't see how a regular tire will fit. I mean, you could place one in the back, but it's going to take up a LOT of room.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried this weekend. That makes me sad. If that space was a little bigger it would have allowed a full size spare. Now if you get a flat and use the donut you have no room for the flat. What a poor design.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What happens if you leave the lid off and forgo some trunk space? would you have enough room even though it popped up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. It will not fit into the wheel well where the spare sits. if you have a full car and a flat be prepared to leave someone behind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for asking this question and thanks to those of you who answered it.

Unfortunately, this now common practice with most car manufacturers. Using a smaller spare decreases the weight allowing them to quote better gas consumption numbers than would be possible with a full size spare.

It's definitely a pain in the ....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't really mind them including the donut, but come on.....AT LEAST put a storage space in that will accommodate a full sized spare if people choose to go that route.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't really mind them including the donut, but come on.....AT LEAST put a storage space in that will accommodate a full sized spare if people choose to go that route.
Agreed. I have the same issue with the Hyundai Tucson I'm hoping to replace with a 2021 Crosstrek in the near future. That's why I was interested to know. If you have to replace a flat with a donut, there's more urgency to get it replaced than you would have if you were driving on a full size spare.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Maybe a trailer hitch mounted carrier.

If I had the extra money I would start a 5 tire/wheel rotation when absolutely new.
With the idea that all treads would be equally deep so when the time came to use the spare it’s tread depth would equal the others. No wear and tear on the all wheel drive.
Also if you dummy one tire you don’t need to replace all 4 because the tread depth wouldn’t match.
The ultimate for an all wheel drive owner is a 5 wheel rotation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts