Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just went ahead and ordered Crosstrek Kicker speakers online for a fraction of the cost at the dealer! I'll let you guys know how the install goes, and what the sound difference is like. I'm upgrading from the 6 speaker set that comes stock with the Limited Crosstrek.

I'm really excited to hear a much improved experience - hopefully I'm not let down :)

Got the tweeters and speakers for $309 including shipping.
The dealer would have charged $449 for the 4 speaker upgrade, and an extra $319 for the tweeters!

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Please report back, the day I buy an XV I am almost certain I'm going to get the Kicker speakers (and maybe even the tweeters), and am curious if they're worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I oRdered from subarugenuineparts - they shipped out today so hopefully by Monday I can test them out !

AWDfreak said:
Please report back, the day I buy an XV I am almost certain I'm going to get the Kicker speakers (and maybe even the tweeters), and am curious if they're worth the extra cost.
If you get the premium edition you'll definitely want upgrades from stock. I test drove one and was realllllly disappointed by the sound and I was comparing to my stock 2000 Saturn SL1!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I think my speakers sound pretty damn good. I am coming from an Outback Sport that had one blown speaker and three terrible speakers, though. Maybe it's just my deafness from years of drumming.

I wonder if mine has the Kicker upgrade. I don't remember if the sticker had anything about the speakers. Kind of embarrassing I don't know :-[. Any way to find out?

·
Registered
74 Posts
ClubCrosstrek said:
I think my speakers sound pretty damn good. I am coming from an Outback Sport that had one blown speaker and three terrible speakers, though. Maybe it's just my deafness from years of drumming.

I wonder if mine has the Kicker upgrade. I don't remember if the sticker had anything about the speakers. Kind of embarrassing I don't know :-[. Any way to find out?
You also missed the wheel locks on the sticker so it's possible. Pop a speaker cover off and take a look.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In AUS we get a 6 speaker system the fronts are just splits so i dont realy call it a 6 speaker system they sound a bit mudy to me, i think some sound deadening will help. But i will be puting a amp and new speakers in when i get some cash.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, need to hear what y'all think of the difference, whether they're worth it. Without some more amps to drive them I can't imagine they would be much better.

Tried out my iPod Touch in the car last night and sound quality is vastly superior...almost tolerable. The menus are very confusing, and I couldn't find a way to select by album, just by song number in consecutive order. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Personally, I think a small powered sub makes a huge diff as well. I put one in our Scion XB when we had it and was a really nice addition for very little money. It fit in under the passenger seat, although it took up the foot space under the set for the back seat on that side. Not sure I'd want a unit in the cargo space.

I'm not sure what I've got going on though...I setup the bluetooth pairing to my phone, figured out how most everything works, but now when I press the button for voice command the display shows BT SETUP and locks up. Have to turn the key off to reset it. None of the buttons work, it just freezes. Any ideas? Is there a master reset or something?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
CJBROWN said:
I'm not sure what I've got going on though...I setup the bluetooth pairing to my phone, figured out how most everything works, but now when I press the button for voice command the display shows BT SETUP and locks up. Have to turn the key off to reset it. None of the buttons work, it just freezes. Any ideas? Is there a master reset or something?
Very odd, I haven't experienced anything like that with mine. I am at work but did a quick search and found nothing for it. I would check the actual model number of your head unit (it's printed on the front) and start searching using that. If you find no easy DIY fix then I would definitely take it straight into Subaru.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I messed with it some more and it's working now. Maybe I just wasn't letting it setup into it's voice control mode. Working fine now.
I don't really use the voice commands, as long as I can talk hands-free on my cell I'm good. 8)

It's kind of a cheapo radio, really. I imagine 'B' radio is better, but lots of complaints with the nav interface. A speaker upgrade and sub is in order if that would help sound quality. Afterall, with added road noise at least we need a good stereo to drown it out. ;)

I want to hear from anyone with a 'A' radio that has installed the factory accessory speakers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just put in the upgraded Kicker speakers today. I'm not really an audiophile, but I definitely think it is worth the money. I could never find an equalizer setting that I liked with the stock speakers. Also, not to hard to put in by yourself. Unless your me, and a black bracket snaps off the front driver door panel. :mad: I superglued it back on. Hope it sticks. No rattles yet.

I attached a few pics for comparison. It feels like the stock speakers weigh less that a pound. The Kickers feel like they weigh about 5 pounds each.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Depends. There's very high quality speakers that use modern lightweight magnets like neodymium. They're amazingly light compared to similar speakers with classic magnets.
I doubt the stock speakers in the XV are anywhere near space age though...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, now that I have had the Kickers for a few days. I think it makes audio have more clarity. The tweeters make the biggest difference, as I changed these first and then tested the sound before moving on to the door speakers. I changed both front speakers and tested the sound before doing the rears. It didn't seem like the door speaker upgrade was as big a difference over stock compared to upgrading the tweeters. But this might be because the kicker tweeters were already in.

kyakdvl - All I can say is that to me, the bass also comes out more clear. And is much more noticeable with the "loud on" setting with through mode. But I usually leave it as "loud off" since it gets a little thumpy when I turn up the volume. Probably not a helpful description, but I tried. Maybe you can play with an Impreza/XV at a dealership that has the Kicker upgrade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These are my speakers. (I also have the Kicker tweeters.)

Infinity Ref6032i 2way speakers at the front and Pioneer TS-A1671S 3way speakers on the rears. I usually fade down the rears when I'm the only one in the car so I spent more money on the fronts. Why the Infinity Refs? Well they are 2ohm speakers so I thought my HU wouldn't have any issues driving them and their "Plus One" woofer is claimed to produce more bass given it has a larger surface area.

I used Subaru Audio spacers on the fronts, drilled my own holes for the rears, Metra 72-8104 wiring adapters and put some sound deadening (Jaycar Response) on the door skins (only 12" x 6" right behind the speakers) and around the speaker cavities.

The result? Really nice sound. Smooth mids and highs with a punchy bass. Lots more detail - surprisingly more than I expected which also meant the stereo stage improved immensely as well. No real downsides except I can't turn it up more than "30" (volume display on my OEM HU, non-Nav) without the dynamic range becoming an issue on some of my music.

I now enjoy driving my XV just to listen to my music collection again ;D.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Careful with low ohm speakers. Low impedances stress the amplifier more as it allows the amp to deliver more current then it safely can . A lot of stock stereos can't handle this load.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts