Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sister-in-law emails asking what do I think about the 4dr Wranglers. She's been in a Explorer for a dozen years and is looking for something new. She's married (husband not into cars) with a couple growing boys. Her husband and sons like dirt bike riding and are also going to purchase a trailer to tow the 3 bikes. I tell her how she probably wants to go with a 2012 or newer because of the new Pentastar engine and she'd also benefit from the 2011 interior redesign....blah blah blah-THEN IT HITS ME! Hey, I said, "have you ever looked at Subaru? "The Forester is all new for 2014 and gets great mileage, is very safe and has a manual option" (Yep, the lady likes 3 pedals.) Also wants to be able to get to where dirt bike trailheads begin. Immediately I'm talking symmetrical AWD without sacrificing mpg. I told her she'd enjoy great resale, like the Jeep, and that reliability is expected to be above average at minimum. Oh yea, "plenty of room" I say. So there I am, having bought my FIRST Subie less than 6 months ago, pitching a family member on the virtues of Subaru ownership like I've owned them for the last 3 decades!! I'm starting to understand why you hear those stories about entire families owning a dozen different models since Grandpa bought one back in 79'! Subaru-Share the Love! :). Now I get it!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
RubySu said:
So my sister-in-law emails asking what do I think about the 4dr Wranglers. She's been in a Explorer for a dozen years and is looking for something new. She's married (husband not into cars) with a couple growing boys. Her husband and sons like dirt bike riding and are also going to purchase a trailer to tow the 3 bikes. I tell her how she probably wants to go with a 2012 or newer because of the new Pentastar engine and she'd also benefit from the 2011 interior redesign....blah blah blah-THEN IT HITS ME! Hey, I said, "have you ever looked at Subaru? "The Forester is all new for 2014 and gets great mileage, is very safe and has a manual option" (Yep, the lady likes 3 pedals.) Also wants to be able to get to where dirt bike trailheads begin. Immediately I'm talking symmetrical AWD without sacrificing mpg. I told her she'd enjoy great resale, like the Jeep, and that reliability is expected to be above average at minimum. Oh yea, "plenty of room" I say. So there I am, having bought my FIRST Subie less than 6 months ago, pitching a family member on the virtues of Subaru ownership like I've owned them for the last 3 decades!! I'm starting to understand why you hear those stories about entire families owning a dozen different models since Grandpa bought one back in 79'! Subaru-Share the Love! :). Now I get it!
Awesome and always good to spread the Suby-love. They are doing tremendous sales, this year especially, but are still considered a relatively small manufacturer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Isn't the Jeep's towing capacity something stupid like 2000 pounds? I never understood why they could tow so little. I guess a little 5-700 pound dirt bike trailer and a couple 200 pound dirt bikes would be fine for either but I hope they never want to tow anything else!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twist2Stop said:
Isn't the Jeep's towing capacity something stupid like 2000 pounds? I never understood why they could tow so little. I guess a little 5-700 pound dirt bike trailer and a couple 200 pound dirt bikes would be fine for either but I hope they never want to tow anything else!
For some reason, I seem to remember my Wrangler was either 3500 or 5000 lb.....not sure what 4 dr. is?? I see them towing 18-20' boats all the time in Charleston though. For that matter, not sure what the Forester I recommended is either! HA, typically brother in law, huh!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Great story, Bob! Ya know.... I'm still a Jeep guy... but I have Subie love as you know....
You made some very valid points with the Forrester over the 4dr Wrangler. I can see her now... towing the bikes tot he trailhead...

·
Registered
194 Posts
The 4-door wrangler is a very nice rig, although it is still a chrysler product and plagued with issues true to the brand. A well equipped one is a LOT more money than a subaru, and fuel economy won't even come close. They can be built up into an extreme offroad though which the subaru really cannot. The worst of it is at least 40% less mileage.

I ride bikes a lot too and thought I was going to buy another pickup truck. Then I got to thinking, how many times do I really haul the bikes out? Usually the motorhome goes, or someone else drives. It ends up being maybe a half dozen times a year and a trailer works just fine for that. So the rest of the time I would have had a rough riding, poor gas mileage, hard to park vehicle that depreciates like crazy. Plus, now I can take my car with me if I want to tow it behind the motorhome.

Some people just want a vehicle that is more macho. ::)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Xtrekr said:
Great story, Bob! Ya know.... I'm still a Jeep guy... but I have Subie love as you know....
You made some very valid points with the Forrester over the 4dr Wrangler. I can see her now... towing the bikes tot he trailhead...
I know exactly where you're coming from Todd- I have mad love for the Wrangler and always will. There's just nothing like them out there...I hope I didn't come across as degrading to that platform. Didn't mean it as a either/or ....more just my new and sudden love for Subaru! I'll report back if she indeed buys one. I'd just love it if she did.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CJBROWN said:
The 4-door wrangler is a very nice rig, although it is still a chrysler product and plagued with issues true to the brand. A well equipped one is a LOT more money than a subaru, and fuel economy won't even come close. They can be built up into an extreme offroad though which the subaru really cannot. The worst of it is at least 40% less mileage.

I ride bikes a lot too and thought I was going to buy another pickup truck. Then I got to thinking, how many times do I really haul the bikes out? Usually the motorhome goes, or someone else drives. It ends up being maybe a half dozen times a year and a trailer works just fine for that. So the rest of the time I would have had a rough riding, poor gas mileage, hard to park vehicle that depreciates like crazy. Plus, now I can take my car with me if I want to tow it behind the motorhome.

Some people just want a vehicle that is more macho. ::)
Buckets of common sense in everything you wrote. :) I definitely agree with being honest with oneself and what you're actually going to use vehicle for....makes for a happier owner down the road.

·
Registered
194 Posts
We loved our jeeps. First one was stolen, so the second build I knew what I wanted by then. Family really liked the events and runs we did, got to see a lot of the areas I had covered on bikes.

Last run I did almost rolled it front up and over. Spotters grabbed the bumper to keep it from going over...scared the living crap out of me. We sold it to get a bigger boat. Really missed it. Now that I'm back riding, the bikes have replaced the jeep, but now with the 'trek we have a fun tow-car for the motorhome.

My 2007 TJ, locked on 35's with all the goodies.
As bought:

As built:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is one nice looking rig :D Is that synthetic line? I never had a winch-was going to be my next addition, until the Crosstrek came along. Man do I miss my TJ after seeing yours and Xtrekrs! Guess we both have to live without them for now. Xtrekr posted a pic of his TJ and XV side x side- I'm jealous! I can't rule one out for the future though. That near rollover would have scared the heck out of me! Sounds like you have a few nice toys to enjoy...good on you!

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yep, nice little TJ you got there. Like the blue ones.

Mine was also a sport, auto. It was a bit silly, a rock crawler with AC, cruise, auto, LOL. Drove like crap though and mileage was doing good to get 14. Stock they weigh about what, 3200. I weighed mine after it was built and it was like 4600lbs. And we towed it without brakes, dumb idea. No issues though.

And yes, synthetic winch line. Worked very well, easy to deal with. I picked up a very early 8274 Warn that was good inside and completely restored it. Fantastic winch.

As bought:

As built. I moved all the solonoids under the hood and made up new power leads:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly the reason I opted out- ride and mileage....just grew tired of it(getting old!). Very nice rebuild of the old Warn- classic.

·
Registered
927 Posts
CJBROWN said:
We loved our jeeps. First one was stolen, so the second build I knew what I wanted by then. Family really liked the events and runs we did, got to see a lot of the areas I had covered on bikes.

Last run I did almost rolled it front up and over. Spotters grabbed the bumper to keep it from going over...scared the living crap out of me. We sold it to get a bigger boat. Really missed it. Now that I'm back riding, the bikes have replaced the jeep, but now with the 'trek we have a fun tow-car for the motorhome.

My 2007 TJ, locked on 35's with all the goodies.
As bought:

As built:

VERY NICE!!! TJ LOVE!!!! Mine is a 2004 X.... but a little work done to it....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts