Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My 2013 CVT Crosstrek started to make a sound when I apply the brakes. It sounds like a spring unloading, kind of a ping. As for as the brake system goes, I replaced all pads around 90k miles, currently has 105k. No other work on the brakes other than the recommended checks. To be clear, the sound happens when compressing the brake, not when releasing it.

Any thoughts?

I did some reading online and will take a look at the return spring for the brake pedal, but otherwise didn't come up with anything the sounded likely.

Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
Do you have any audio or video footage? I can't say I've heard or experienced that feeling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solved!!!!

I know hundreds of you have been waiting eagerly to hear the end of this story, but in all seriousness, I wanted to post the solution in case it will be helpful to someone else.

The issue was a rock between the rotor and the heat shield. The pinging/spring sound I heard was the heat shield being hit by the rock. The issue occurred not just under braking as originally stated. I ended up needing to pull the rotor off to remove the rock.

I wasn't ever able to get a good sound recording, so sorry I can't post that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts