Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent quite a while at Subaru of Santa Monica today. Ever since I bought my Crosstrek in mid-December, my steering wheel has been a little tilted to the right, maybe 15 degrees or so. This was not affecting the driving at all as the car would still hold a straight line no problem, however it was aesthetically very annoying to me.

I took it into the dealership where I bought it and they did a toe adjustment and gave it back to me. As soon as I got in, however, I realize that the steering wheel was still crooked. I called and told them but I didn't have time to take it back in before I headed back to California.

I got back here to CA and started work and was busy with life, but finally got the Crosstrek back to the dealership today. After about two hours with having it, the friendly tech service guy called and said that the issue isn't with toe or alignment, but rather a "manufacturer defect" with the front struts.

I didn't get into much detail with him, but I think it was just a one-off issue with my Crosstrek, not a model-wide defect that will cause a recall or anything.

Overall, I am annoyed that I have to take it back in, but at least the issue will be solved under warranty and I can forget about it.

Has anyone else noticed their steering wheel being off?

·
Registered
243 Posts
No issues here. Hopefully it's just an isolated issue. At least it's happening now and won't cost you anything.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CrossTrekFan said:
No issues here. Hopefully it's just an isolated issue. At least it's happening now and won't cost you anything.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like a big deal. I never made a post about it earlier because I just thought it was a toe misalignment from the factory. Either way, seems like nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have seen similar issues with a few different models and it has never been a consistent thing. Usually one random weld or something to that effect causing the mount on the strut not to line up quite right. They'll probably just throw a couple of new front struts on and you'll be good to go!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, that's what it sounded like. Now just waiting for the parts to get in! It kind of sucks I have to take it back because I work so much Mon-Fri, then next weekend I'll be in Vegas so I don't know when I'll get to take it in again, unless they give me a loaner.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Those dirty finks! Off with their heads!!! ;). I do think a loaner is appropriate, short of decapitation.

Seriously, I do hope they get it fixed for ya. That would bug the sh&t out of me! I have a buzz from my passenger side A pillar that is intermittent that makes me want to scream sometimes! Count to 10 bob, I know.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chasem said:
I want to make sure I follow you right. Basically the steering wheel isn't parallel to your shoulders?
Yeah, when the car is driving perfectly straight (i.e. the wheels are aligned straight) the steering wheel itself is off-kilter, slightly to the right, as if I was rounding a very casual right curve.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Most cars "pull" right on most roads. That's because roads are crowned (the middle is higher than the sides) so water runs off. Since there is a slight downhill slope to the right your car will follow that a bit. You might notice on some highways or roads that have drains in the center or are sloped to the left only the car will tend to pull left a bit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Whoa there little buddy! First off crown roads are an old style if road that is not normally made any more secondly all American vehicles are mandated by federal law to have pull to the right due to if the driver becomes incapacitated for any reason to include falling asleep or a medical issue the car veers to the right away from oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
129 Posts
suuichi said:
Whoa there little buddy! First off crown roads are an old style if road that is not normally made any more secondly all American vehicles are mandated by federal law to have pull to the right due to if the driver becomes incapacitated for any reason to include falling asleep or a medical issue the car veers to the right away from oncoming traffic.
Mandated to pull right? Where is this documented?

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's absolutely not true. Any alignment shop can align any car however the heck they want. Usually to go straight because customers whine if it does anything else. If you can find a law that says that anywhere I would be astounded.

Also, roads need to have some kind of slant either right or left to drain water and fluids off the roadway. There are some flat ass roads out there but if you drive on them in the rain you'll see why road crown exists.

·
Registered
79 Posts
RubySu said:
Those dirty finks! Off with their heads!!! ;). I do think a loaner is appropriate, short of decapitation.

Seriously, I do hope they get it fixed for ya. That would bug the sh&t out of me! I have a buzz from my passenger side A pillar that is intermittent that makes me want to scream sometimes! Count to 10 bob, I know.
Dealers are under no obligation to provide "loaners" though many do and when they do, those become expenses incurred by the dealership which ultimately .... what for it ..... eventually get passed onto the customer in the form of higher labor rates or parts, etc. Even loaners, dealers in my area have mileage charges just like rental companies to recoup some of the costs. Biggest cost, insurance coverage for the customer driving the loaner. There is no background drivers abstract done for loaners or rentals and also the risk of the car coming back having been driven 'like you stole it'.
That being said my dealership has 4 loaners, on a first come/need basis but also offer a preferred rate from a rental agency as well. I would suggest the OP call there dealer in advance and see if a loaner can be held or be made available when they take their car in so they are not disappointed. Doing that can also be seen as building a relationship with the dealer vs throwing a tantrum. end of rant.

RubySu, there is a fix for the rattling A-pillar, but it requires taking it to the dealer. This also happened when the then new 09 SH series Foresters came out. What it involved was popping the A-pillars and adding a couple of strips of foam underneath the cover which kept the pillars from rattling when they were re-installed. It was never a TSB but covered under warranty, next model year, foam was installed at the factory to the parts. Talk to your service rep, you should be able to book an appointment and ask about waiting while the work is done. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Many cars steering wheel shaft have a square shaft where the steering wheel bolts on, if the steering shaft has a slight twist in it the car can track dead straight but the steering wheel can be off center, to fix this most shops will turn the steering wheel full lock and apply pressure to the steering wheel to twist the shaft.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Subaru uses a steering shaft with a pretty high spline count. It's much stronger and safer than the square mounts. However that being said, I have seen dealers to what you're talking about which is not the best way to solve the issue. Usually they'll move it a spline or two in hopes of making it straight. If they do that take it to a new shop. The correct way to fix a steering wheel angle issue is with a good alignment. There's about a 99.9% chance that they put that wheel on straight from the factory so the issue is usually with alignment, not a crooked wheel. It's VERY hard to bend a steering column.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts