Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's nice to see people use actual hand tools. Job well done and thank you for sharing this toy.

Dan

Remember where you have been because it will help guide where you are going. --DSH

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thank you for this thread. It's convinced me to put one on my XV. You're right about not paying retail for it. If you wouldn't mind posting it, what did you pay for it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hacksaw said:
Thank you for this thread. It's convinced me to put one on my XV. You're right about not paying retail for it. If you wouldn't mind posting it, what did you pay for it?
Found one for about $200 with the 6 new locking nuts. More expensive than a solid bar but I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've never ridden in a Crosstrek with a one piece brace so I can't say which is better. I'm pleased with the flexible bar.
So you have had this added now since January (it appears from the date of your post). Can you say that it was worth it to install? Has it made a noticeable difference? Is this the one that you used (photo below). I have a 50% off coupon for Subaru parts. I was thinking of using it for the Strut Tower Brace, but I don't want to waste the money if it isn't worth it. Can I get your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
It's worth it if you actually push your XV Crosstrek to its limits during cornering, wish for improved chassis response, and still desire good ride quality. Otherwise, if you simply drive like the average American driver, it's just dead weight.

I have a solid bar, a Cusco front strut tower brace. Although I didn't initially feel a big difference, I had my brothers drive my car before and after, and they could definitely feel a difference in the chassis. And through some long-term driving, I've realized that the solid strut tower braces do actually make a tiny little difference in ride quality, as pothole-ridden California interstate freeways have shown me.
Now, I should clarify that all these chassis bracing are not the kind of mods that have the best "bang for your buck".

In short, chassis bracing will not deliver significant enough "feel" in improvement to justify the costs for most drivers. If you drive hard on and off-road, it may be a good idea, but if you never ever take your XV to 100% whether in the twisty mountain roads or rutted off-road trails, you are better off looking for a different kind of modification.

If you do feel that a brace is worth getting, I would actually recommend the STI Flexible Strut Tower Brace over a solid Cusco or SSD brace, which may slightly add harshness to the ride quality, for a daily-driven commute application.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's worth it if you actually push your XV Crosstrek to its limits during cornering, wish for improved chassis response, and still desire good ride quality. Otherwise, if you simply drive like the average American driver, it's just dead weight.

I have a solid bar, a Cusco front strut tower brace. Although I didn't initially feel a big difference, I had my brothers drive my car before and after, and they could definitely feel a difference in the chassis. And through some long-term driving, I've realized that the solid strut tower braces do actually make a tiny little difference in ride quality, as pothole-ridden California interstate freeways have shown me.
Now, I should clarify that all these chassis bracing are not the kind of mods that have the best "bang for your buck".

In short, chassis bracing will not deliver significant enough "feel" in improvement to justify the costs for most drivers. If you drive hard on and off-road, it may be a good idea, but if you never ever take your XV to 100% whether in the twisty mountain roads or rutted off-road trails, you are better off looking for a different kind of modification.

If you do feel that a brace is worth getting, I would actually recommend the STI Flexible Strut Tower Brace over a solid Cusco or SSD brace, which may slightly add harshness to the ride quality, for a daily-driven commute application.
Thanks for the thorough review!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
starting my search for stiffening up the suspension on my CrossTrek. I've got an 05 LGT wagon I did this too. I had a Rallitek rear sway, generic rear strut tower and a front strut tower bar. improved handling in corners a good bit for me.

did you do any other mods to stiffen up the suspension or just the front strut tower bar?

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I have done the following to help stiffen the chassis on my Subaru XV Crosstrek:

* Cusco Power Brace Rear Member (AKA Cusco パワーブレース リアメンバー) P/N 692 492 RM
* Cusco Strut Tower Bar (AKA Cusco ストラット タワー バー) P/N 694 540 A
* Cusco Strut Tower Bar (AKA Cusco ストラット タワー バー) P/N 694 541 A
* Cusco Power Brace Floor Center (AKA Cusco パワー ブレイス フロアー センター) P/N 692 492 C
* Primitive Racing Side Rails "rock sliders"

I feel like the floor brace made the biggest difference in stiffness. I have no scientific data to back that up, but that's what I believe based upon the impressions of other people who have driven my XV as well as passengers who have ridden in my XV.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have done the following to help stiffen the chassis on my Subaru XV Crosstrek:

* Cusco Power Brace Rear Member (AKA Cusco パワーブレース リアメンバー) P/N 692 492 RM
* Cusco Strut Tower Bar (AKA Cusco ストラット タワー バー) P/N 694 540 A
* Cusco Strut Tower Bar (AKA Cusco ストラット タワー バー) P/N 694 541 A
* Cusco Power Brace Floor Center (AKA Cusco パワー ブレイス フロアー センター) P/N 692 492 C
* Primitive Racing Side Rails "rock sliders"

I feel like the floor brace made the biggest difference in stiffness. I have no scientific data to back that up, but that's what I believe based upon the impressions of other people who have driven my XV as well as passengers who have ridden in my XV.
thx. I'll probably start with the strut towers and work from there. your review back in July is helpful as well. Mine is a DD, I live in the sticks but work in the city. twisty back roads are twisty and plentiful. I wanna make it more enjoyable. my LGT feels like a sled in comparison right now.

·
Super Moderator
2,941 Posts
I'm glad I could be of help.

If/when you do purchase the Cusco products, make sure to look up the English instructions on the USA website, as the instructions in the packaging are completely in Japanese. Well, at least my packages had Japanese-only instructions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts